Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Converting .pp (Asta) files to .xer (Oracle Primavera) and importing to P6 - tips

5 replies [Last post]
Marion Close
User offline. Last seen 4 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

HI

Can anyone provide a list of tips when saving a .pp file as an .xer file and importing to P6.  I always get error message in Asta, and when i import to P6, it crashes and forces me to Exit with an error code.

I found an independent list (see below) but wanted to see if anyone knew of more?  Our contractor is currently working in Asta and will be migrating to P6 but I need to run a quick analysis of the integrity of the schedule as it stands and want to be sure I'm importing everything I need. 

Thanks

Replies

Mike Milewski
User offline. Last seen 3 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Ben - Thx for getting back to me. Funny you mention what version I am on. When I wrote my question earlier this week, I was on Ver 14.0.1. In that version, all I could find was a "Save As" to an .xer file. I was suspect on that being successful as the Asta File for my particular project was 8mb and the "save as" output to a P6.XER was a mere 835kb.

Since then, my firm has updated to Version 15.0.1 and I know see the Import/Export capability. Will likely test that XER output when I finish the next update cycle on this particular project.

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Of course (support.elecosoft.com) but more importantly, you can also just give us a call directly and ask!

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 20 hours ago. Offline

doesnt Asta have a knowledge base like Oracle does where you can look up the error code to find out what is causing the problem ?

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

What verison of Powerproject are you on?  We changed lots of the import/export functions in v15 onwards.  Latest helpfile is here: https://help.elecosoft.com/powerproject/english/15.0.02/Content/HTML_Topics/Conceptual/Starting_work/Primavera/Xfer_Primavera.htm

Thanks,

Ben @ Powerproject

Mike Milewski
User offline. Last seen 3 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Dang - I was hoping for an answer on this question - I am trying to do this today, provide an Asta .pp file that can be uploaded into P6.