Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera / Openplan

9 replies [Last post]
will williams
User offline. Last seen 9 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
How does openplan compare to primavera? Has anyone tried converting projects from one to the other?

Replies

Kenneth Rodrigues
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

OPP Professional 3.1 PC version still does not work on Windows 7 Platform which has all the power and graphic capability is all another consideration if you are porting from P3 to OPP. Like all porting , there is no 100% conversion , you still have to tweak the system so get Hard copy print out for you Activities ,PWBS ,CBWS before you even go ahead.

Cyril Armentia
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andy,

Thank you for the clue.

Cyril
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Cyril,
The attached wbsite may be of assistance for you.

Andy

OPP
Cyril Armentia
Hi Andy,

I’m interestes in Open Plan Pro. Any clue on where to buy the software or a demo software?

I’m a big fan of Open Plan. I call it The Total Project Management, when I’m using it(Open Plan V4.0). It just happen that the companies I transfer doesn’t have open plan software.

It will be a good replacement for Primavera, I guess.

My email address, ’cdarmentia@hotmail.com’

Thanks and regards
Cyril
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
If I had a choice (and I don’t) I’d prefer the Open plan pro and Cobra package over anything else any day of the week.

Opp has calculated fields, a good analysis engine that beats the pants of P5/P6. Built in monte carlo, interface add on for Milestones Professional at the click of a button (for all those pretty management reports), and the latest is a built in Time Chainage reporting feature which will (Almost) do the same job as TILOS and better than the excel versions I’ve seen. This coupled with a dedicated link into a cost tool (Cobra) which is a very powerful EV machine, I don’t think I could want anything else.

The combination easily complies with CSCSC (CS2), Sarbanes Oxley, AS4817-2006 - Project Management using Earned Value and for those who may not have heard of it CLERP 9 (Australian version of SOX).

Anyway as I don’t have a snowflakes of getting what I want, I guess I’ll have to try and develop things to make Primavera work - wont I.

Andy
Cyril Armentia
Yes you can convert Open Plan to Primavera and bothways. I have done this for many years when I was in Saudi Arabia on Open Plan 4.0 and Primavera lower version than P3. I’m using both of these versions last time. I have to use MS Excel and DBase softwares to complete the conversion.

But you have to do some adjustment. This is no direct conversion.

Even converting MS Project to Primavera, you still need to do some adjustment, especially the calendar setup and many others.

Primavera P5 & P6 need to be tried, but I haven’t seen any new version of Open Plan lately.

Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Primavera is equally complex. A great deal of effort was expended transferring data from Primavera to Open Plan; no attempt to transfer data from Open Plan to Primavera was attempted. I very strongly recommend against adopting Primavera for CMS. Although it may be capable, the process of exchanging data with other applications is simply too complex, and the PC-only limitation is too severe.

Scott Sando
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Not Primavera, but I’ve transferred (both ways) between Open Plan and MSProject. Activities in progress become scrambled (finish date moved 11 years!) but other activities & resources appear to carry over pretty well.
Ashraf Jahangeer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Will,

Try your luck by the following links.

Regards,

Ashraf

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=157834