Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to specify a rate per day regardless of hours worked in a day

5 replies [Last post]
Jaco du Toit
User offline. Last seen 10 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi 

I'm having a problem 

lets say I've got to hire a crane and that is a cost of 10 000 per day regardless of how long you use it if i use it the second day for 1 hour and I'm done it should be 20 000 

Please help

Thank you

Replies

In addition to Mike proposal set special calendar for this hammock (like one work hour (minute) per day at the work day start) and apply crane day cost to this hour (minute). In this case even if the last day is not full you will pay for the whole day as it happens in the real life. To avoid missing the first day add negative lag from the first activity to the hammock start that lasts the work day in hours but has 24 hours/day calendar.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Jaco

Set up a hammock with all the tasks using the crane and add the cost to that.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Jaco du Toit

I'm not sure if I'm Missing something but lets say I've got a 8.5 hour day and the task takes 10 hours and the crane cost 200 per day if I do it like you say it shows cost as 250 instead of 400 that it should be

Jaco du Toit

Thank you for the info

Ellen Lehnert, Mi...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Set the crane up as a material resource with the cost set as the cost for 1 day.  When you assign the crane to the task you can set the units to the number of days that you will be using the crane. 

Another idea is to set the crane to be a work resource but put the cost as /day and not the default of /hr.  You can then enter the units ad the number of hours you will be using the crane.  The benefit will also be that you will get a crane schedule and be able to check for conflicts for crane demand.  I teach scheduling for manufacturers and this is the most of the factories are doing this.