Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Converting MPP to MPX for use with P6

17 replies [Last post]
Carol Webb
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone have the utility.exe for converting an mpp to mpx file? I am under the gun and need to convert MS Project into a P3 or P6 file.

Replies

Elyar Safarov
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

My antivirus gives me message that there is a Troyan in this software.

please check

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

I have upload the tool in this article.

Kindly download here : https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/convert-microsoft-project-m...

Stoffel Eilerd
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

'1 000.00' is not a valid floating point value. I get this error when trying to convert a MS Projects MPP file to MPX. Can someone please assist. What might cause the problem. I'm sure it is something in the Projects file.

masoud hassani
User offline. Last seen 5 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

simply download convertor from: 

http://www.projectstatus.com/pub/PubFiles/MppToMpx.exe

Masoud Hassani

Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Import a Microsoft Project file in P6:

Choose File, Import.

Choose Microsoft Project.

Choose Project.

Click Select to choose the files you want to import.

Type a password for any file that is password protected.

Double click the Import Action field to select how the project data is imported, then specify where to import the projects in the Import To field.

Regards
JK
ladi sodipo
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Paul,
You mentioned that "P6 & P5 will import a mpp created by MSP 2003 and earlier". Pls expand a bit more on this i.e how to do this.
Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I just converted an old mpp project to Contractor 5.0 (P5) via opensource ’Ganttproject’.

My question is: How effective is ’Ganttproject’ converting newer versions of MSP mpp to mpx?

Judging from the dates for the above project, it was probably developed on MSP ’95. Just tried with another, which I suspect was made on MSP 2003. I probably do not have anything newer than that. Appreciate any experience with 2004 and 2007. Thanks.
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 35 weeks ago. Offline
Why don’t you just create your mpx converter yourself. As far as I know a MPX file is just an ascii-file with a certain sequence. You can use VBA of MS-Project to write such a file
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 7 weeks ago. Offline
As long as you have a mpp 2003 or earlier file version and a copy of MSP2003 or earlier then you will be able to import.

P6 and MSP xml formats are different.

You could export it to Excel and then import or save it as mpx, or open with SureTrak, save as P3 and import.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Carol Webb
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
I am trying to convert a mpp file that was sent to me. I do not operate MS Project on this computer. He tried saving it as an xml file but P6 says it is not a valid xml file.
Carol
James Barnes
HAHAHA Classic

Call the EU, they can start antitrust actions against MS. Should be done in ooooh, about 6 years

If MS want their programme to become a standard in the industry, they don’t need to hobble communication, just make the programme better.

Of course it’s not only MS who are guilty of such shennanigans ;P

*sigh*

if you don’t have much data, take it out of MSP via Excel (or access) and then build your activities in table in excel / Access. P3 can then import teh data via DBF. You need to correct formatting and syntax but tehre’s not too many rules to follow really. Try exporting activity data from an existing P3 plan to see what the formatting and syntax is like then follow that, it doesn’t take long.
Paul Harris
Alexandre

The format is not the problem, the installation of MSP 2007 disables Primavera Versions 5 and 6 ability to import any MSP file.

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
Paul Harris
There is an article on my web site about MSP to P3 conversion.

P6 & P5 will import a mpp created by MSP 2003 and earlier.

MSP 2007 has a new file format called mpp, just to add a bit more confusion.

Installing MSP 2007 will disable the ability for P6 and P5 to import mpp files!

Every one is working as hard as possible to make it as difficult as possible to exchange data.

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 2 days 19 hours ago. Offline
Hi,

MS Project 98 can save as MPX, higher than that not applicable. You can download a free tools to convert MSProject into MPX. Try this site : http://www.sciforma.com/Support/Ps_tips.htm#MPX2K

HTH
James Barnes
I think MSP can save the data direct to MPX, no? There’s a guide to how to run the conversion on Paul E Harris’ site, the link is somewhere here in the forums, I recall.

otoh, how much data are you talking about? We have several beligerant departments here who refuse to use P3 and insist on planning in MSP, regardless of teh licences provided or training offerred.

I started by trying to convert their plans electronically to P3 but eventually gave up. It just doesn’t work very well, especially hammocks, which get extensive use in MSP

The approach I take now is to save the MSP project off as an excel sheet (MSP can do that for you) and then copy and paste the data I want into relevant columns in a blank P3 export table. The logic I draw manually, or write a formula in Excel to generate the correct syntax in a successor export table. IOf you’re familiar with exporting activity data from P3 to Excel or Access, manipulating it there then reimporting it you should be ok with this route.