Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rates and Norms

1 reply [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi PP Admin

I have just had a quick look at the Rates and Norms section - today is the first time that I have spotted it.

My first impression is that is an excellent attempt to tackle a generallly difficult topic.

Some particular comments.

1.  Free Edit Access - It seems that when I switch from View to Edit mode I can change all or any item in the section - even if this is limited to moderators it should not be allowed.

2.  No disclaimer - there should be a visible disclaimer to the fact that these outputs are prepared for guidance purposes only and should not be taken as definitive for every circumstance.

3. Gangs or Individuals - there is (as far as I have seen) no indication as to whether the outputs are for work gangs or individual tradesmen - if they are gangs then the group structure should be indicated.

4. I seem to recognise the general structure of some parts as being similar to published estimating works such as Hutchinson or RICS Wessex - I assume no direct plagiarism has taken place.

5. Global rates - Typically in blockwork we are shown rates per sqare metre for different thicknesses but no indication as to whether this is for straight - uninterupted walls or ones with lots of lintols and openings - if the difference is withing the Slow to Fast definitions then this should be explained.

6. Source material - I read a section on Pipeline Installation which was a direct copy of one of my threads with no acknowledgement and I do object to that.

Nevertheless a comendable effort.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Replies

Hi Mike,

I will jump in on this one as its a topic close to my heart.  I will comment witin the body of your post if that's ok...

Some particular comments.

1.  Free Edit Access - It seems that when I switch from View to Edit mode I can change all or any item in the section - even if this is limited to moderators it should not be allowed. - this is normal fare for wiki type collaborative efforts.  The system gives us full record keeping and change control so we can undu or roll back any content at any time.  The secret is getting people to share some of their own knowledge.  There are lots of good things in the main forums that could be used as content in the wiki.

2.  No disclaimer - there should be a visible disclaimer to the fact that these outputs are prepared for guidance purposes only and should not be taken as definitive for every circumstance. - I have had this page http://www.planningplanet.com/wiki tweaked so that it more clearly shows a link to some explanitory notes.  These notes can also be tweaked by anyone who wished to add value.

3. Gangs or Individuals - there is (as far as I have seen) no indication as to whether the outputs are for work gangs or individual tradesmen - if they are gangs then the group structure should be indicated. - I agree, again we need some of the commuity members to get involved.  We moved this from a non-editable list of rates and moved them to the contriibutable (is that a real word) format so we can all get involved and share some information.

4. I seem to recognise the general structure of some parts as being similar to published estimating works such as Hutchinson or RICS Wessex - I assume no direct plagiarism has taken place. - I beleive that the disclaimer states that we are not responsible for plagerism, but we do need to loop out for it.

5. Global rates - Typically in blockwork we are shown rates per sqare metre for different thicknesses but no indication as to whether this is for straight - uninterupted walls or ones with lots of lintols and openings - if the difference is withing the Slow to Fast definitions then this should be explained. - Yes, again, we need people to get involved to move this all forward.

Mike, thanks for your ongoing help and support buddy.

James
Founder, Planning Planet