Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

As late as possible constraint

7 replies [Last post]
John Kelly
User offline. Last seen 10 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Currenlty carrying out a tidy up operation on a BAeline programme prior to a delay analysis.

My question is how would you deal with a set of activities that have no predecessor and have an 'As late as possible' constraint assigned to them??

Thanks in advance

John

Replies

Sivakumar G
User offline. Last seen 9 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Dear sir

You can create a new tasks and apply base line for that task and then you have to give constriant as late as possible now we see the difference

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi John

If the milestone is for the commencement of design then there must be a duration for design completion.

This should be expressed as a task bar and linked FS to the task or milestone that requires the design input.

Remove the lag and set the design task to ALAP.

You can then monitor progress on the design task.

Best regards

Mike Testro 

John Kelly
User offline. Last seen 10 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I agree with what you guys have said in that there is nothing wrong with ALAP constraints when used correctly, good example Gary on the M&E equipment.

The activities in question on my analysis are commencement of Design activities for various parts of the Project.  These activities have no Predecessor and the only reason i can assume for using ALAP on the commencement of Design activities is possibly due to lack of Design resource.

I have removed the ALAP constraints and linked the said activities to the NTP milestone with positive lag ensuring no change in dates etc, this means as i import progress to my baseline as i proceed with my Windows analysis that these activities will remain in the same date unless progressed. Should i have left the ALAP constraint and just linked to the NTP milestone with lag? i think by removing the ALAP milestone i will start getting some spurious results, ie said activites being identified as the cause of delay when i reality it isn't.

Thanks

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Nohing wrong with using ALAP in the right circumstances, as Mike & Vladimir have said.

I would add though that just because an ALAP constraint is appropriate does not mean having no predecessor is, even if the predecessor is not (currently) driving the activity.

Eg delivery of M&E equipment to site may be on an ALAP, so you do not have it sitting around on site for months before the civils are completed to allow it to install. But you should still have a design/procurement predecessor chain.

Client free-issues may have a project design predecessor, or if not should at least be linked from contract award.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi John

Vladimir is right - use of ALAP tasks such as "Last Date for Power On" or "Employer Free Issue Material On Site" is the natural way to set a task that has no predecessor in the programme but depends on outside influences.

If an event delays such tasks the in a delay analysis I would insert a bar that represents the delay period immediately before the ALAP task and hold that with a Must Start On constraint - then reschedule.

I would then colour the delay event bright scarlet but you can't do that in P6.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Why?

If you plan JIT supplies, training before implementation, etc. ALAP is very useful, practical and natural.

Neil Curtis
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

John,

I'd try to eliminate the ALAP contraints by talking to the relevant subject matter experts in the project team about the activities concerned, requesting that the SMEs define the predecessor activities so that finish-to-start logic can be used instead.

Neil