Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Earned Value Analysis

2 replies [Last post]
jason french
User offline. Last seen 12 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Folks,

I am trying to use Earned Value Analysis on a project using V11. The Asta reps and website claim it has all the gubbings required to carry out EVA. I have been aware of EVA for a number of years but never had the inclination to actually use it until now. I had a review of all the literature I could find to clarify my understanding on how it works and the info required. I had a stab myself at setting something up as I usually do when embarking on something new in asta but havent found it very intuative. I can get some of the info in the fields column but cant get the histogram to display the data in the EVA fields.

I have tried the help menu and technical support. They emailed me a link to download a macro but this still doesnt really do what I think it should. The gurus from asta dont provide technical support on EVA or the use of the macro but did offer me some training for £150!

Has anyone got any experience using EVA in PP V11 and able to provide me with any examples they have done in the past.

Im trying to plot the following data onto a histogram if possible.

BCWS - Budgeted Cost of Scheduled Work (The Budgeted Cost based on the project baseline)

ACWP - Actual Cost of Work Performed (Actual cost incurred to accomplish the progress to date)

BCWP - Budgeted Cost of Work Performed (The planned cost to accomplished the progress to date)

Thanks

Jason

Replies

Chris Rymer
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Jason

Some of the data you require can be shown in a histogram but not all, so that is why we wrote a macro to export the data to Excel. The macro is free to download and when run, will give you the data you require.

At Asta we have written a number of macros that are available to our supported users from our website but they are not a supported application. Progress Expert (PE) is another free download and this also graphs a number of the EVA tokens.

EVA is a feature supported by Asta and all of the tokens are currently available and can be shown in the column table. We will help anyone that needs advice in this area of the software and additional information can be found in the Help file .

When further information is requested about a feature that is not classed as support, training will be offered, either in a classroom environment or over the web.

I have sent you my contact details so hopefully we can catch up and discuss this further in January.

Regards

Chris Rymer

Head of Professional Services at Asta

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Jason

I don't bother with EVA based on costs because it is not a true guide to progress - I refer to the Gold Tap syndrome in that it takes the same time to fit a gold tap as a chrome one.

In my QS days we used to do a cost value reconcilliation excercise which endeavoured to bring the valued work into line with the cost records to see if we were actually making any money - it was a hit and miss excercise and any EVA based on costs will have a similar result.

I prefer to work on resource hours which have been extracted from the BOQ / Cost Plan.

The planned resource hours are loaded onto the tasks and then compared with the actual deployed resources.

You have the advantage with PowerProject because you can easily copy / paste from spreadsheets to the programme columns and get instant results.

Best regards

Mike Testro