Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planned Percent Complete on WBS Summary Bars

3 replies [Last post]
Ben Jewell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to display planned percent complete on WBS summary bars but cannot get it so show.

The 'Percent Complete' is being calculated and shown and although all the tasks within my programme are showing their individual 'Planned Percent Complete' (where applicable) there is nothing shown in the WBS summary tasks.

I have messed around with the settings for the data being used (live, current baseline etc. etc.) and I have made a copy of the current programme and used it as a dummy baseline to see if that would work but I am getting nothing....

Does anyone know if the information can be shown or am I fighting a losing battle?

I'm using version 11.0.03 (Build 063) if that is of any help.

Thanks,

Ben

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Ben

For the planned data to appear in the column you have to create a Baseline Programme using the Baseline Manager.

Under the File Drop Down menu

This creates a shadow of your working programme before any updates but is linked to your live tasks.

Just copying the programme will not work.

Having come from a P6 environment I understand your prediliction for WBS layers.

You will get a better programme from Powerproject if you can forget all that and just concentrate on grouping tasks into respective programme levels.

Please visit

www.planningacademy.org

where you will find interactive training manuals in the use and operation of Powerproject software.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Ben Jewell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try and clarify what I have.

Firstly, yes, by WBS Summary Bars I mean the summaries that were created to cover the activities within a particular WBS group. 

I have created a WBS (I've recently come from P6 to Asta PowerProject for my current job so I find it easier to work with) and have applied a sort to the programme to show activities grouped by WBS then Date.  In the appearance settings (in the sort properties) I have selected "Summary task with all columns" for the Sub-heading, "Display banding in the spreadsheet" and "Use hierachy appearance".

I have made a copy of the programme as it is, renamed it, imported and assigned it as the current baseline in the baseline manager but still not getting any details in the Summary Bars.  I have been through all of the available options (and combinations of options) for the Table Definition Properties for planned percent complete but have had no joy.

The above settings have given me the view that I want and all data seems to be being displayed correctly in the WBS Heading/Summary except for the planned percent complete.

I'm considering removing the WBS and using summarised activities but it's a hard habit to get out of after all this time!

Regards,

Ben

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Ben

When you say WBS Summary Bars do you mean the summaries that were created to cover a series of tasks?

Or do you mean something else entirely?

Progress percentages are rolled up through the summary bars automatically - in fact you can't turn them off.

For the Planned Percent to operate you need to create a "baseline" of your project using the Baseline Manager and then select that in the Data drop down.

Asta PowerProject is nothing like P6 because a WBS system is optional - I prefer not to bother with it.

Best regards

Mike Testro