Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

As Built Critical Path

214 replies [Last post]
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi guys again,

It was suggested before that the issue be put to a vote. Maybe this is the right time to put the issue to a vote notwithstanding that the debate can continue.

It’s also noteworthy to see the trend of those believers in ABCP and non believers as to what background they come from.

Se
Se de Leon
Hi guys,

Am i right on my observation that most who believe that As-built critical path comes from Contracts/Claims background while those on the opposite side are mostly Planning practitioners. Just asking

I’m on the planning practitioners side that’s why I believe As-built CP is not the right term and can not exist.

Se
Uri Shachar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

I am with those who think ABCP does not exist. My understanding of the CPM is that you do Forward Pass for the Early Start and Finish Dates, and then Backward pass for the Late Start and Finish Dates. Activities are Critical if ES=LS and EF=LF, i.e. when there is no Total Float. The fact that the Critical Path is the longest path in the Programme is the result of the previous process - it is not the definition of the Critical Path.

How can you do that with ACTUAL DATES??? in the AB Programme there are no Early or Late Dates - so how can there be a Critical Path?

Does your planning software (P3, SureTrak or even MSP) show a Critical Path for Actual Dates?

However, I am not sure about one thing:

In Contracts where the Contractor is entitled to EOT only for ACTUAL delays to the Date for PC, how do you know which delays actually effected the actual date for PC i.e. which delays were Critical?
David Barry
User offline. Last seen 17 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Philip

As to your suggestion "agree to disagree", I’ve got two points:

First, while some in this forum have said the ABCP doesn’t exist, none have offered a clear reason why they reach this view. Your comments do however capture the matter which I think the following suggestion resolves?
Can we agree the ABCP exists (thereby answering Gerry’s original question which has stirred so much debate), while recognising that any view as to its route is subjective, i.e. an opinion?
Of course, an opinion is precisely how it would be appropriately characterised to a court / tribunal in any event (as Garry has recently done).

Second, it would be a shame to cut-off debate, so lets continue to canvass views. In particular I would really be interested in hearing clear justification for the view that it doesn’t exist as opposed to the point that its difficult / subjective to determine - any takers?

David
Philip Rawlings
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
David
It’s not an IT answer. The point I’m trying to make is that As-built usually (wrt. drawings etc) means based on fact - so we can have as-built start/ finish dates. You say that determining the ABCP path depends on experience, common sense, etc. I totally agree. My point is now that we have a CP which is subjective - so whatever it may be it cannot be called As-built, its subjectivety should be admitted. Nothing wrong with that but it should not be called As-built.

I believe we have seen two (I think only two) points of view in this thread. Probably all that can be said has been said - we now need to agree to disagree!!
David Barry
Philip

I think you are giving an IT answer to a planning question. Locating the as-built critical path is best achieved by the application of experience, skill, and common sense. The occasional and careful use of programming data and software (links et al) is a useful tool but only that!

The As-Built Critical Path must exist - its a matter of physics IMO. Had Gerry asked "is it always possible to locate the ABCP?" then subjectivity might reign!

David

Philip Rawlings
It seems we are going around in circles here. Because a judge (or similar) thinks that he/she understands the concept of an As-built Critical Path does not mean it exists, or if it does that the definition is universally held.

The crux as pointed out recently is to show the longest path through a project after the fact. Actual start/finish dates can be said to be fact (if records are full and correct) but there is nothing factual about the links. If you can demonstrate the Actual logic then you can have an actual critical path, otherwise the CP is a mixture of fact and conjecture. One should be very wary of telling a tribunal (or similar) that a critical path that mixes post-project fact with original or amended logic is the As-built CP. We have presented pseudo-as-builts BUT with the clear proviso that the plan logic is reconstructed with best endeavours - not fact!
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Having watched this thread with interest, it is clear that there are two distinct camps of thought here – there are those who believe an as-built critical path cannot exist and those who do use them. I have to say I am in agreement with Roger and David that an as-built critical path must exist, for people, me included, draw them as part of delay analysis and delay claims.

Having recently presented an as-built critical path to a judge in a delay analysis claim, that judge certainly believes in such a document and terminology. David is right when he says clients, courts and tribunals are constantly looking for assistance from experienced project planners on this subject. In my experience, courts do want to know what was the critical path through the project even though that project may have been completed a significant time ago. An as-built critical path is exactly what they are looking for.

Best wishes

Gary France
Chairman
Planning Engineers Organisation
Roger Gibson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
I echo David’s remarks. In the context of this forum the ’As-Built Critical Path’ term is very important and fundamental to any time-related claims.

Gerry McCaffrey’s original question was, "I am trying to elicit views from real planners discussing the concept of an as-built critical path. Does such a thing exist?"

In my view it does; but it can not be simply generated from the original as-planned baseline network using the planning software in which it was created. IMO it is created from a thorough manual investigation of progress records and other documents. In reality this is the chain of activities that is the longest continuous path of activities between project start and project completion. However, in the ’claims’ context this is commonly known as the ’As Built Critical Path’.

Roger Gibson
David Barry
Philip

Your sentiments are well voiced and received - but remember, you’re writing them in a forum entitled "Contracts, Claims & Claims Assessment". While no one can criticise your idealism I think you ignore reality - i.e. that it is (alas) often very very relevant to determine historically what was critical on a project at a prior point in time.

Clients, Courts and Tribunals are constantly looking for assistance from experienced project planners on this subject - surely you can’t be suggesting they are seeking answers to an impossible question?

A Happy New Year to you and all the other forum participants also.

David
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

Hope you all had a pleasant XMas, and all my best wishes for 2005.

What is the point of planning, how to work out the best way to carry out a project, and then to monitor it as the work progresses. Therefore, planning is all about the future, and what is past is history.

The reasons for analysing an as-built schedule may vary from project to project. This depends on the purpose of the analysis, ie whether it is for a claim,improving future planning or even to see why the planning was successful or a disaster, etc.

The point I stiil make is that history is in the past and cannot therefore be critical. The events that happened might have had a serious impact on the future, and even if they were critical at the time, cannot be changed. I think the point of history is analysing the mistakes/positive achievements and using this information to improve the future.

So instead of discussing this so-called enigmatic "AS-built critical path", let’s rather discuss more beneficial ways of using as-built schedules, to improve future planning.

Regards

Philip J
David Barry
Gerry et al

Being an "As-built critical path ’o-phile" I’ve found the thread interesting.

It seems to me that the answer has to be yes - it exists!
Subject to the information being available a skilled planning analyst can surely advise what was critical at any point in time on the project. If we also believe the critical path can switch, then surely connecting all the retrospectively determined critical activities together results in (yes wait for it ...) the "as-built critical path".

Of course you could all just be talking about the ability to locate the as-built critical path via programming software (i.e. via a logic linked dynamic as-built programme) then I would say it is possible in threory - its just not reliable!

Gerry - get back to work!

Regards
David

If we can say in retrospect what was critical at any point in time (using analysis) then
Roger Gibson
Jaco,

Your example with the 2 Iso’s.

You do not say if the float on the 2 Iso’s is the float on the original as-planned programme or what was available at the time of issue of the Iso’s.

A claim, for eot or delay, that is based on the float as shown on the as-planned programme only would not succeed.

It it is the float at the time the the Iso’s were issued, then the contractor is entitled to a 5 day eot for late issue of Iso 1. Most contracts encourage an extension of time to be awarded when the completion date is "likely" to be delayed, i.e. at the time of the delaying event.

At the end of the project, to establish actual delay caused by either Iso 1 and/or 2, then further investigation and substatiation is required to support a ’loss & expense’ claim, and not just an as-built programme or as-built critical path.

Sorry, I have digressed from the thread, but this is important. An as-built critical path, or any cpm delay analysis, is there to support or compliment a delay claim; but the delay claim must be based on facts.

Roger Gibson
Gerry McCaffrey
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Jaco

What you state goes to the heart of some extremely difficult questions in delay analysis.

Have you read the SCL protocol - see www.eotprotocol.com.

I put my view on records and the SCL were kind enough to put my paper on their web site.

Gerry.

Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
I am still a Believer in an as Build Critical Path.

Example (Piping)

Two Different Iso.

Iso one
Release Dwg (Activity Critical) (Late 5 Day’s)
Construction Planned 14 Days Actual 7 Days

Iso Two
Release Dwg (Non Critical 10 Days Float) (Late 8 Days NO EOT)
Construction Planned 14 Days Actual 24 Days

Project Delayd 5 Days as per Projected CP (Real Impact none)
Project is Delayed Actualy by 8 Days (Please note non Critical Activity)

The only way how you can see this is after the project is completed. Then you would be able to see that ISO two was the real Critical activity and ISO 1 was not ???.

I know you can argue that the activity become critical but you don’t know the full impact before it is completed.

Cheers

Gerry McCaffrey
Stuart, many thanks for lifting the quality of debate - it was waning.
Stuart Ness
User offline. Last seen 12 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Vladimir,
I was expressing the view that I can understand how the CP can be applied to the future: I was not being categorical or dogmatic about the issue.
I was stating that I am persuaded by the view that a CP can only apply to the future; I was not defining it. Nor have I been persuaded by earlier parts of this thread – within a strict planning and scheduling context – that a CP exists retrospectively.

That is not to say, of course, that I don’t use the term when presenting a delay claim predicated on historical events that have had an impact on the CP at that time.

Cheers,

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Dear Stuart,
please advise me where in the definition of the Critical Path I may find that "a "Critical path" can only apply to the future".
Thank you in advance,
Vladimir
Stuart Ness
PHEW!!! – and I used to get complaints about some of my long threads and wanderings!
I’ve now had a chance to catch up, so let me throw my hat into the ring!!

Having just completed planning an other piss-up in a distillery, I can see this in a different light!
I think that it all depends on which hat you are wearing!

I believe that Martyn and others may be correct in saying that by definition the terms "As built" and "Critical Path" cannot be used together, since an "As built" schedule is one that has been updated with actual starts and finishes, whilst a "Critical path" can only apply to the future. And I am persuaded by this view from a strict planning perspective.

But as Gary also correctly points out, when you are trying to explain the historical events that impacted a Contractor’s performance (in lay terms and often to a lawyer or a sleepy Judge!), the term “As-built Critical Path” is used to describe such causes and effects. The “As-built Critical Path” is a term used (or abused!) to describe the sequence of actual events that happened throughout the execution of the project and which, as a result of their occurrence, had an impact on the Critical Path at that time.

So I think that from a strict or clinical planning perspective, many of you are right in that an “As-built Critical Path” is a contradiction in terms and cannot exist, but from a delay claims perspective, it is a term frequently used to describe the historical events that impacted a critical path in pursuit of a claim for delay.

Does this clarify or confuse? ;-)

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline
Gerry, I have already been given my opinion at the start of thread and no change in the statement so far.
Gerry McCaffrey
Shahzad, what’s your conclusion? Does an as-built critical path exist?

Gerry.
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline
The simple issue has been so pronloged and discussed to understand the word " As built". I think enough and valuable discussion should come into conclusion now.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Jaco,

It is an interesting idea, but you cannot calculate a longest path using actual durations. – Let me put this another way, such a calculation without modifications would be meaningless.

A longest path calculation using just actual durations would ignore that fact that many activities begin before they are logically able to do so. This fact, in part accounts for the increased durations commonly found. In addition to using actual durations, you also need to adjust the logic to account for the actual early starts.

I have been thinking of this issue for a long time. In fact, I have written software called As-Planned/As-Built Maker that creates such a schedule from the As-Built schedule. You can read more on this at http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/forensic_brochure.htm.

As for relying on what computers ’say’ is correct - first you need to at least know what they are saying. That is why the As-Built Critical Path is so important.
Jaco Stadler
Hi Ronald

Maybe the word Right was not correct BUT the computer program (Example P3) is told to calculate the the Longest Path on Remaining Duration. If you program P3 to Calculate on the Actual Duration it will also give you the "As Build CP"

Have you ever had a case were the schedule tells u this is your CP and you know it is wrong then when you check the logic you find the mistake. We must not rely on Computers and belive everything they "Say" is correct.

As far as Politicians go " I have heard politicians say "I have never had ... with this woman" But then again it depends what you define "...." as. So my conclusion are they always tells the "truth" from their perspective.

Cheers

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Jaco,

You need to better define the word, ’right.’ Do you mean ’accurate’ or do you mean ’truth.’ A computer program will not give you truth (neither will a politician.)

A computer program can tell you what the schedule says is the As-Built Critical Path. But then again, isn’t it important to know what the schedule says? Is this not the first step? Without this, everything else is just opinion.

The truth may be something different. I prefer to testify as to what the schedule says is the critical path. This (at least) can be proven.
Jaco Stadler
Gerry

Here is a Thought

The Critical Path can only exist in an As Build State.

The Reason
As so many NON Believers have agreed is that the critical path keeps on changing. So if you say something is Critical now it does not mean it is stil critical in a second/Minute/Hour/Day/Week/month from now.

So to see the true Critical Path you can only see it when you have completed the project. (Not before because it is your "current" projected critical path) (Remember a critical path the longest path)

Cheers
Jaco Stadler
Uri
Remember a computer program is not always right. Just because it tell you does not mean it is right.
Uri,
critical path is by definition the longest path in the network. If I will want to learn what path in my network is or was critical (i.e. longest) I need to look not only in the future but also in the past.
If at the start of the project all activities in my schedule are ALAP then all of them are critical (have zero floats) but still there is a critical path, isn’t it?
Vladimir
Uri Shachar
Vladimir,

You said the Critical path does not necessarily refers to the future. Just look for a moment at one of your programmes:

Are there any Critical activities to the left of the data date? (in the past)

Is there any float to activities in the past?
Gerry McCaffrey
Gary,

Do you use your as-built-critical-paths to undertake substantive collapsed as-built analysis?

Gerry.
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Martyn,

I am afraid I cannot agree with you. I have drawn many as-built critical path programmes as part of delay analysis expert witness work. An as-built programme is simple to understand - as you correctly say, it is simply a programme that has been updated retrospectively with actual start and finish dates to demonstrate when each activity actually took place.

To this one can add the actual logic that dictated when each activity took place. By rescheduling the programme, one can demonstrate the as-built critical path. In other words, the longest chain, or chains, of activities through the programme that cause the completion date to be when it was.

This addition of actual logic has to be done very carefully and it certainly demands a considerable amount of close scrutiny to ensure the correct actual logic is used.

In my opinion the use of as-built critical path programmes is not at all uncommon.

Gary France
Chairman
The Planning Engineers Organisation
Martyn Davies
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
I really am at pains to understand why this has been such long ongoing thread. By definition the terms "As built" and "Critical Path" cannot be used together. An "As built" scheduled is one that has been updated with actual starts and finishes, a "Critical path" can only apply to the future. An "As built" can only influence the "Critical path" if the actual dates were later than predicted it would then impact the future dependant activities that have not started, possibly creating a "Critical Path".
Gerry,
you described the method of its calculation. I quoted the definition. If some method does not work it does not mean that the problem does not exist.
Vladimir
Gerry McCaffrey
Vladimir

Critical Path is reliant upon a forward pass and a backward pass in order to determine earliest and latest dates for the activities. Where to actual dates (i.e. in the past) fit in? In the past there is no earliest or latest dates, there are only actual dates. That is Philp’s point.

Gerry.

Critical Path is defined as the longest path in the net. That’s all. Nothing about future or past.
Vladimir
Philip Jonker
Vladimir,

Explain that one please, about the future?

As I have said before, how can something in the past be critical. Therefore only things in the future have the risk of becoming critical.

Regards

Philip
There is nothing about the future in the critical path definition.
Philip Jonker
Hi Gerry and all other contributors,

It’s been an interesting one. Thanks all.

An interesting question to PPAdmin what has been the longest thread to date on the site?

Regards

Philip J
Se de Leon
Uri,

That’s what I mean, when As-built is combined with the term Critical path it becomes confusing. People tend to interpret it in many ways.

Se
Uri Shachar
Sigfredo,

I agree with you that there is a problem, however to me the problem is not with the term As-built Programme. This term is commonly used and self explainatory.

The problem lies in the combination of As Built with Critical Path, as usually Critical Path relates to the FUTURE and As Built relates to the PAST.

My personnal opinion is that there is no such beast as ’As Built Critical Path’
Se de Leon
"As-Built Critical Path", is it the most appropriate term to use? Can’t we find a suitable term that every time you read it, everyone knows what it means and it doesn’t need clarifications/qualifications when being used. I guess this is one of the reasons why this thread come a long way.

Personally, I find As-built word as confusing as I will immediately compare it with as-built plans. what do you think guys?

Se
Gerry McCaffrey
Philip(s)

I think your suggested phraseology for the question is just a wee bit loaded and it might just betray your answer!

Thanks for your input, it has been a good thread.

Gerry.

Philip Jonker
Hi Gerry,

How about the question, "Is there merit/purpose in finding this so-called (mystical) AS-BUILT Critical Path?"

Sorry it took me a while to come back, Update Day here:-)

Regards,

Philip J
Philip Rawlings
Gerry
Sorry - I should have made it clear I knew who you were talking to. I just meant to put in my 3-ha’pence-worth!

We are only too weel aware here abpit the EOT issues. Unfortuanately, many of those invloved 9especially rhe lawyers) do not really appreciate thes issues. I think we ought to make a distinction between an as-built schedule (actual dates) that happens to built on a CPM program and a CP schedule (one where the logic is key).

Gerry McCaffrey
Sorry Philip Rawlings, my question was directed to Philip Jonker.

As for its purpose (ABCP) - Billions of pounds/dollars are fought over every year in Extension of Time Claims and the notion of an As-Built-Critical-Path is central to many of these disputes.

Just look at the first three quarters of this thread to flush out the views that Planners hold.
Philip Rawlings
Maybe the only useful question is:

Is there any purpose in looking for an as-built critical path?
Jaco Stadler
Gerry
Just look it is next to the Elbow Grease.
Gerry McCaffrey
Phweww.. and what a wait!

Philp - Do you fancy formulating a useful question for the vote? I think "Does an As-built Critical Path Exist?" is too simple as the unfortunate answer is likely to be "It Depends".

Gerry.
Philip Jonker
Hi Gerry,

Now you finally found the skyhook, go to the stores and draw a longweight.

Gerry,
we usually create very detailed schedules for construction works with the activity durations that not exceed one week. Contracts define target dates for major milestones and these target dates incorporate agreed contingency reserves.
Vladimir
Gerry McCaffrey
Vladimir

Consider Philip Rawlings item (e)

(e) Above all, remember that the CP is not factual. It relies on a subjective assessment of the relationship between activities.

How can you disagree with this? Especially if you are dealing with anything other than very detailed programmes.

You make the point that CP is usually based on "technological restrictions (roof after walls, etc..) If only life was that simple. At the beginning of many design and build projects construction detail does not exist. The activity bars are long and have long overlaps. The logic is (and must be) subjective.

Even with a roof after walls scenario - the leads/lags have subjective durations.

I agree with Philp - the Critical Path (prospective) is not a fact, it’s an opinion. The Critical Path (retrospective) well, that’s a different story - one which there is much disagreement upon within this thread.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Happy to know that the wave is seem to be settled on the As Built Critical Path issue ................... Its time for voting as per Philip Jonker’s suggestion.
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

I just had a nice relaxing weekend and have been catching up with all that have been said.

The one subject that seem to have cropped up since my last contribution is a "project without a schedule". Can somebody please define that one for me, I can only understand it as a project for which no planning was done, in which case it does not belong in this forum. Otherwise, I seem to sense that it was not scheduled in the normal way, ie by P3 or MSP etc, ie a computor, but it could have been done in the old fashioned way, as I was taught before the advent of PC’s.
The second point is the notion that a project cannot be completed overnight, in fact a project can be completed in a matter of seconds. What is the definition of a project. There is three areas in every project that is looked at, cost, time and quality, if there is risks involved in any of these areas, and dependant on the amount of risk the undertaking can be rated as project or not. Thus a wedding or a Formula one tyre change can be regarded as a project, and if the pre-planning is disregarded, then what I said about seconds holds true.

Further I agree with Vladimir and Philip, the two previous contributors, as they seem to be saying much the same thing. The as-built CP is a hypothetical notion somebody has thought up, when trying to analise a schedule where the job has been done. Depending on the reason/s for the analysis, whether for a claim, or to establish how future jobs can better planned, there is much simpler ways of getting to the right answers, whether it was a good or a bad schedule. I have stated this earlier, this proves the necessity for proper resourcing of schedules, as well as for good costing practices.

Maybe it is time for a vote:-) Pro as-built CP or anti?

Regards

Philip J
Philip,
let me express my oppinion:

a) The critical path is an assessment of those activities (from now until the end) that could delay the project if themselves delayed. CP in the past is therefore an irrelevance.

It is not quite true, CP does not take into consideration resource limitations. It is true if resource constraints do not exist. CP in the past is useful for the project performance analysis post mortem.

b) By my definition, therefore, there can be no critical path on completion, so no As-built critical path

As Built Critical Path shows which activities and delays defined actual project duration.

c) An hypothetical CP could be constructed from the as-built schedule (which records actual dates, suspend, resume, resources etc). This is useful in informing the next project, in improving the start-up planning

Right, it is useful for lessons learned and for claims assessment.

d) The reconstructed CP is HIGHLY subjective. If the as-built is to be used for a claim, then avoid any links and restrict the plan content to fact, that which can be evidenced.

Right! That is why I wrote that all delays and their reasons should be documented and included in the project model.

e) Above all, remember that the CP is not factual. It relies on a subjective assessment of the relationship between semi-factual activities. Even when activities have been completed, it is still very difficult to ascertain the ’true’ relationship between them.

I don’t agree with the subjective nature of activity relationships.

d) As to whether there is a CP in a project without a schedule - this is largely irrelevant. The CP is one’s idea of the longest path. If one has no ideas (i.e. no schedule) then one can have no concept of a CP. Again, the CP is not an absolute, it is based only on the assumptions made by those involved.

CP is usually based on the technological restrictions (roof after walls, etc.), it is not based on assumptions.

Hope this adds rather that subtracts!
Philip Rawlings
Dear All
If I may make some contribution here and in way of trying to summarise and add to what has gone before:
a) The critical path is an assessment of those activities (from now until the end) that could delay the project if themselves delayed. CP in the past is therefore an irrelevance.

b) By my definition, therefore, there can be no critical path on completion, so no As-built critical path

c) An hypothetical CP could be constructed from the as-built schedule (which records actual dates, suspend, resume, resources etc). This is useful in informing the next project, in improving the start-up planning

d) The reconstructed CP is HIGHLY subjective. If the as-built is to be used for a claim, then avoid any links and restrict the plan content to fact, that which can be evidenced.

e) Above all, remember that the CP is not factual. It relies on a subjective assessment of the relationship between semi-factual activities. Even when activities have been completed, it is still very difficult to ascertain the ’true’ relationship between them.

d) As to whether there is a CP in a project without a schedule - this is largely irrelevant. The CP is one’s idea of the longest path. If one has no ideas (i.e. no schedule) then one can have no concept of a CP. Again, the CP is not an absolute, it is based only on the assumptions made by those involved.

Hope this adds rather that subtracts!
Yes, you are right. Logical restrictions that were established at the project start should be kept. If they were wrong then it is a cause for lessons learned exersize. But you shall add delays and additional work to the original network.
Roger Gibson
Vladimir,

What does the path that you have identified ’mean’ then?

From your earlier postings, you appear to have maintained the original baseline programme logic links to establish the ’As-Built Critical Path’. Is my understanding of your methodology correct?

Roger Gibson
Sure,
Critical Path may change during project execution and many times. That is why you shall include in As Built Schedule all delays that occured with the description of events that cause these delays. As the result you will see what chain of activities and delays constitutes As Built Critical Path. It does not mean that at any time in the project life this path was critical in the project schedule.
Se de Leon
Hi Vladimir,

I think it’s possible but highly improbable to have a logically linked as-built activities at the end of the project.

Experience would tell us that your CP at the start may not be identical a month after, 2 months after etc. and moreso at the end of the project. "Not identical" means, it may have similar activities for each periodic CP but may not be 100% identically the same path.

Se
I mean logically linked as-built activities loaded with resources, costs and other actual information that should be compared with the original estimates.
I repeat that during project execution all schedule delays should be included in the schedule preferably like additional activities (delays) or lags, imposed dates are worse for the future As Built Critical Path analyis.
Gerry McCaffrey
Vladimir

What do you mean by Schedule? Especially when you state

"Why does everybody agree that there is not such thing as an As Built Schedule?"

No-one is disputing there are as-built facts. In your mind (and others reading this) does the word ’Schedule’ (in Vladimirs context) imply logically linked as-built activities - or simply activities that have been built (i.e. undisputable facts).

Gerry.

You had logic in the initial schedule. What happens with this logic? You had done the work out of sequence? It means that the logic was wrong in your initial schedule or you decided to use fast tracking. The latter decision should be accepted at some moment and the links in the schedule updated.
I still don’t understand what can happen with the project logic to the end of the project.
Gerry McCaffrey
Vladimir

The real question is to focus upon the retrospective insertion of logic into your as-built schedule. Is it appropriate?

Gerry.
As Built Critical Path may be useful for project close out, lessons learned, etc.
I don’t understand many arguments in this discussion. Why everybody agrees that there is not such thing as As Built Schedule? Maybe you mix methodology and tools? Just imagine that you do everything manually. In this case you may update your initial schedule with the actual durations and costs and as the result you will receive as built schedule. This schedule has the same properties as any other, including critical path (only if you add into schedule events causing delays).
Jaco Stadler
Gerry

Why would you like to show the as Built Critical Path. - For Future information so next time you start a similar project you can learn out of past experience. Also when you do OME lvl schedules you have a look at your past schedule and this will give you an indication as to the overall duration. (If you have similar constraint) Also why do you do project close out reports is so that you learn and adapt it for future use. (Learn out of our mistakes and implement corrective action).

What is the critical Path. The Longest Path. (Please note float is not part of my definition of the critical path because sometimes you do not calculate the float) “concept similar to float “ is still not float.

Even a Project with no schedule have a longest path. (Even though nobody know about it) My apologies Gerry I did not read the practical part.

If a project does not have a longest path we can assume that we can finish it overnight.

Maybe if you do construction planning the A.B.C.P. might not be useful but when you do project planning this data is. Besides the Q is Does an As Build CP Exist.

Cheers
Gerry McCaffrey
Jaco

That is why I emphasised the word PRACTICAL in my response to you. A project with no schedule/programme has the potential to have many many critical paths. Of what use is this information? Think of the purpose of a CPA (before the job is built). It is to enable managers to focus construction effort AT-THE-TIME.

It is trite to state that even a project with no programme has a critical path.

As for you concluding that a programmme with no schedule can be completed overnight - You’ve lost me there. I never inferred such a daft notion.

Gerry.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
For Line of Balance, although float is not applied, the game rule is similiar.
We plan for the optimum by shift the bars around; bar thickness and gradient of bars. The shift, thickness and gradient, on concept, is silimiar to float.
MK TSE
[Duplicate entry deleted.]
Jaco Stadler
So if a project has no schedule it can be completed over night ????. No a Critical path is more than an calculation it is a fact of live.

If I make a decision to use a Line of Balance Planning (LMS) system on a hundred Kilometer pipeline I will not have a critical path because I can not calculate it due to a Line of Balance can not calculate float (No CPN).

MK TSE
I agree.
Critical path, besides it is defined as the longest path, is usually defined by TF=0. If no schedule, all the above is not exist and so, what is the measurment criteria?
Roger Gibson
Gerry,

Do you mean a critical path with logic links/relationships between activities; or a graphic presentation of activities showing what was critical to project completion at any particular time over the life of the project?

Roger Gibson
Gerry McCaffrey
Topic Reminder - Does an As-Built Critical Path exist?

Jaco - to answer your earlier posting - "Does a project without a schedule have a critical path?"

My PRACTICAL answer is no.
I understood that this discussion refers to contract schedule. In other case traditional critical path will not define project duration if resource constraints are taken into consideration. Resource Critical Path (or Critical Chain) takes its role and defines project duration.
Contract schedule may change due to the various reasons - delays, change requests, risk events, etc. Activity start dates may be delayed not in accordance with the schedule logic. Due to some events not necessarily the longest path will be really critical.
So if you want to be able to restore As built Critical Path all events that lead to delays shall be included in the project schedule with the corresponding links that show which original activities were delayed due to any event and which preceeded delay. Of course you may find critical path using Float less than, not just zero float.
If it was done during project execution then As Built Critical Path can be restored.

Jaco Stadler
Hi Gerry

I still say a As Build critcal path exist.
Does a project without a schedule have a critical path.

If your answer is yes then you must define the definition as the longest path & forget about float. (remember the project does not have a schedule). (Differance between planning and scheduling)

Also have any of you used why before. Once you have completed a schedule ask yourself why was the project not finished earlier and then go through the activity’s one by one and ask why was this not finished earlier. Eventualy you will see the true as Build Critical path.

Cheers

Stuart Ness
Gerry,

Don’t you mean “I don’t mean to be critical but….” ?

Me ? Plan?
Couldn’t plan a piss-up in a distillery on Hogmanay!

Cheers,

Stuart
www.rosmartin.com
Gerry McCaffrey
Surely you realise the import of not using the word "Critical". You’ve spent much of your working life doing claims. I dont mean to be rude but - have you ever worked as a planner?
Stuart Ness
Hi Gerry,

My views have not essentially moved from that of my earlier posts; if anything, however, my expressions may have modified! I now accept (thanks to the clarifications offered by this thread) that the term “As-Built CP” is at best misleading and at worst entirely wrong! ;-)

Against the background of the clarifications offered by this thread, I would say that I haven’t changed my mind – just my words!

Cheers,

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Gerry McCaffrey
Stuart

Contrary to your earlier email, I do not see general agreement in this thread. In relation to the question "Does an as-built critical path exist" there are unequivocal "Yes" and unequivocl "No" answers among planning enthusiasts expressed within the replies.

Furthermore - it looks like you’ve changed your position as expressed in your first few postings at the beginning of this thread.

The realisation that each day will comprise critical activities does not lead to the notion that - upon completion of the project a sequential as-built critical path can be constructed from beginning to end.

Have yours (and Jaco’s) views changed as a result of this interesing thread? (Which I hope continues for a wee bit yet).

It’d be useful if top-level planning enthusiasts can bottom out "Does an *as-built* critical path exist". The phrase is bandied about willy nilly - and it is clear the term requires close examination. Do no underesitmate the import of changing the word critical to longest.

Philip Jonker
Hi Staurt,

I don’t think there is a name for it so just call it the longest path:-) The point being that if the project finished early the longest path was never critical. Further if the project finished exactly on time or late, and the last activity was say "Handover", There would probably have been some other chain of activities linked to the final activity, so it might not necessary have been the longest path activities that forced thee project to end late. So again give one good reason for bothering with a so-called "As-built CP".

Regards,

Philip
Philip Jonker
Hi Staurt,

I don’t think there is a name for it so just call it the longest path:-) The point being that if the project finished early the longest path was never critical. Further if the project finished exactly on time or late, and the last activity was say "Handover", There would probably have been some other chain of activities linked to the final activity, so it might not necessary have been the longest path activities that forced thee project to end late. So again give one good reason for bothering with a so-called "As-built CP".

Regards,

Philip
Roger Gibson
Stuart,

I would call if the ’Actual Critical Path’. It is the sequence of activities over the life of the project that caused the completion date to be delayed from ’x’ to ’y’.

By using the ’windows’ or ’salami slicing’ methodology, (’windows’ sounds less painful Stuart)then this path is established.

Also, as it is often the case that an activity may be only be critical for part of its actual duration, I don’t know of any planning foftware that can determine and graphically show this from a final as-built project with actual start and finish dates for each activity.

Roger Gibson
Stuart Ness
Hi Philip,

Yes, I agree – which is why we should stay away from the term “Critical Path” insofar as an As-Built Schedule is concerned. What therefore, would you call the longest line of activities through an As-Built Schedule?
Isn’t this where it all began?

Cheers,
Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Philip Jonker
Hi Stuart,

It is like magic, here today gone tomorrow.

The point is if an activity is complete it’s float disappears.
Stuart Ness
Very interesting thread (now that I have caught up with it!), and I think that we are mainly reading from the same page. I would agree with Roger and Gary about the “snapshot” or “windows” approach – personally, I stay away from the word “windows” to avoid confusion with u-no-what; I prefer to call it “sausage or salami slicing!”

Unsurprisingly, we all seem to agree that the CP runs forward to the end of the project (starting now or at some other point in the future) and we all seem to agree that the CP can multiply and can flit around from day to day. Ronald’s last post (!) emphasises this point. However, I am unsure as to whether this answers Gerry’s earlier question as to what you call the CP once it is consigned to history (i.e., what do you call today’s CP tomorrow when it becomes yesterday??) [Thank God no lawyers are taking part in this discussion!!]

In addition, from a claims entitlement point of view, I would just add that if your Baseline Schedule is itself incorrect and unreasonable (subjective definition anyone??) then the formation of an As-Built Schedule that emanates from said Baseline Schedule, will itself be incorrect.

Cheers,

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Philip Jonker
[Duplicate posting deleted.]
Philip Jonker
Hi Sigfredo,

What you say is true. There is one thing however, that is a useful tool, that is saving the history after each each update. P3 has this feature in store period performance. Using this feature has two advantages, one , in that S-curves and histogrammes give a better reflection of actual events, and secondly, where delays occured they can be tracked correctly in the the event of a claim. The value of stored period performance is obviously dependent on the frequency of updates, the more frequnt the updates, the more accurate the stored information. One of the biggest and serious causes of productivity losses is disruption of activities.

Regards
Philip
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
what about coding the critical path networks say cpm1, cpm2....(the ranking of numbers 1, 2 will be based on the longest critical path compared to the next and so on....) in the baseline program itself so that it would be useful for monitoring the changes of critical path if any during update period and that can be used for tracking as built critical path if it exists so.
Se de Leon
Hi guys,

Just want to share my ideas on the subject.

1. It is a fact that a Critical Path(CP) today may not be the same tomorrow, next week, next month etc. Unless someone will dispute this fact, please feel free to discuss it.

2. In comparison, as built CP is not the same as as-built drawings. As built drawings can not change meaning if a foundation size on the original plan is 2mx2m and it is actually built at 2.5mx2.5m, no one can dispute that what was constructed is a 2.5mx2.5m foundation because you can easily prove it. In As-built CP it is ever changing. What you may have as an as-built last week may not be the same tomorrow.

IMHO, I believe the word As-built CP is not the most appropriate term. I think History of Critical Path is the better term.

Philip Jonker
Hi Jaco,

The commonly accepted definit1on, of a critical path is a chain of activities with total float of zero or less, you can decide whether you want to increase the figure to more than zero, if I am working in days, and dependent on the overall duration of the project, I might increase the criticality to up to a week. The reason for this is to be able to spot all activities which is problematic, or might become a problem. You can also say that it is the longest chain of activaties in the project, however this is not always true, as the longest chain might be ahead of schedule, and another shorter chain might go critical, because of intermediate completion dates, resulting from commissioning procedures or other constraints.

Regards

Philip
Jaco Stadler
Hi Phillip

Can you please supply us with your definition of the Critical Path.

Thanx