Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3e Baselines - Duration % Complete Changes ???

8 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,
I have copied the original baseline of a schedule and applied actuals to this so it is shown ’on schedule’ this gives a duration percent complete of 8.45%

( we want to compare duration % complete on the baseline against the current plan duration % complete )

Can anyone tell me why in P3e when i attach the baseline, the duration percent complete on the baseline changes and matches identically to the current schedule and shows 4.5% although when it is detached it shows 8.45 % ????

Also, what is ’ Schedule Percent Complete ’

Regards
confused guest !

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

a true BASELINE has NO progress which means that % complete will alwasy be zero. If you are attaching another schedule another than a true  baseline to compare against then I would also like to point out that duration % complete is uses the planned duration which is taken from the current plan, not from the current baseline.

The percernt complete of the activity duration is computed as ((Planned Duration- Remain Duration) I Planned Duration) • 100

You might want to look at using Duration % of Planned which is the activity actual duration percent of planned which is computed as (Actual Duration / BL Duration) • 100. The value can exceed 100. The Baseline Duration is the activity's at complete duration from the current baseline.

Mohamed Riyas
User offline. Last seen 6 years 6 days ago. Offline

Hi,

Number of Float Paths

Please advice what does it mean that if number of float paths are very high in a schedule?

Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
How do you want to determin your % Complete is it about hours or about Money.. If you do it over hours you should give your resources a rate of (for example) 1 $/Hr.
P3e calculates with Money. So if you want to do this over hours some percentage’s cannot be shown by P3e (I,ve had the experience myselve)
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Firstly are they the same data date?
Secondly did you selected the baseline as your primary baseline ??
Finally form your message you seem not understand how plan % complete work, since you said you understand all, I think it is not point for me to give you advice that you already known. Forum Guest x (Can tell who is who)
Forum Guest
Alex, I fully understand all the below,....apart from the last sentence.....

We have a a project that was created in May 2004, this was baselined in May 2004. The project has slipped considerably since due to scope changes.
When the baseline is detached, this shows ( If progressed to same data date as current schedule and no slippage has occurred, i.e. progressed as planned, this gives a duration %complete of 8.45%....

When this baseline is re-attached to the curent schedule at ticked as primary baseline, the baseline percent complete MATCHES EXACTLY the current schedule Duration % complete of 4.5%, surely this is not right ???

The baseline is on programme and the current schedule has slipped, how on earth can they have the same duration percent complete ???
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Well we have a lot of confused planners here today.

Firstly " Scheduled % complete" is % complete base on your plan start and plan finish date. Have a look at my reply to JT’s wrong baseline.

You need to be clear what is the function of Baseline.

The duration % complete is base on the original duration of the activity where the original duration is (Planned Finish - Planned Start) remember Plan Start is not equal to Early start and not equal to actual start. Once you understand the relateship between these date you will have better understanding how the % complete is calculated.

Your original question is why when you change baseline your duration % complete change. When NO baseline is selected, the schedule will be calculate it’s duration % complete base on the activity PLAN START and PLAN FINISH. When a baseline is created and selected as primary baseline, then the baseline activity PLAN START and PLAN FINISH will be use. Its all that simple where your baseline have a different PLAN START AND PLAN FINISH to your current schedule.
Forum Guest
Hi,
The version is 3.5.1 SP4
I believe schedule percent complete to be the primary baseline % complete as of the current schedules data date

The problem is that when the baseline is detached, it’s DURATION Percent Complete is 8.45% - but when attached as primary baseline to the current scheduule BASELINE Perecnt Complete shows as 4.5% - i.e. same as current schedule, this is obviouisly incorrrect as the current schedule is late to the primary baseline baseline !!!!
Forum Guest
Hi confused guest;
I am also a confused guest. I also have problems with P3e baselines. First of all, what version of P3e do you have???
Right now I do not have problems with % complete in baselines with version 4.0. I have to ask you: (1) Did you label the primary baseline bar with "BL Duration % Complete" or only with "Duration % Complete"?; (2) Did you try to shift down the location of primary baseline on bars list?
Be patient with P3e because it could make you crazy.

Also, a schedule percent complete can be defined as a duration % complete or as a physical (construction) % complete. What do you want to show?

JT (author of Wrong Baseline, another confused guest)