Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Changes in Baseline in P3e

15 replies [Last post]
Minhas Shaikh
User offline. Last seen 13 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Planners,
Can we make changes in baselines.
Like I updated my shcedule and assigned baseline. Now I want to change baseline duration, start and finsh dates of few activities.Is it possible??
I have tried but it couldn’t gone through.
How can I make more then two baseline and assign on Schedule. Becasue in "col edit" manue only two baseline options are available.
Waiting for reply.

Thanks
Minhas

Replies

Minhas Shaikh
Hi Planners,
I have to make another baseline. For second baseline I opened my one of previous project and tried to current project as a baline. But unfortunatly, it didn’t go through. I removed all basline of project and after changes tried to make current project as a basline but still i found previous basline dates. I don’t know how to remove previous baseline dates . in this way current project gives me same previous basline dates.
Hope it could be understandable for everybody.

Thanks,
Minhas
Minhas Shaikh
Thank you very much Rodel.
With the help of your steps and instructions I am able to make changes in Baseline. Now its solved.
Once again Thank you very much.
GOD Bless you.
You have my email. We can keep in touch .
Regards,
Minhas
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 days 1 hour ago. Offline
Hamed,

If you are using P5, I’m not sure if we are looking on the same area. If you have a baseline assigned on the current project you should be able to select Baseline Early Start and Early Finish. Would you be able to explain more detail on your problem and which area are you looking.

Rodel
Rodel Marasigan
Minhas,

To change the baseline please follow this step.
1)     Select Project-> Assign Baseline from your project menu
2)     Click Primary baseline dropdown box and change it to and do the same in Project Baseline if you set same baseline assigned the click OK. “remember the project name of your baseline so you can open it afterwards”
3)     Select Project-> Maintain Baselines from your project menu
4)     Select the baseline that you unlink from the current project and click Restore then click Yes on when prompted and click close.
5)     Open the baseline project that you just restored and make the changes.
6)     After the changes close the baseline project and open the actual project where you detached the baseline.
7)     Select Project-> Maintain Baseline from your project menu
8)     Click Add and select “convert another project to a new baseline of the current project” and click OK.
9)     Select the baseline project that you just updated and click the green “+” icon the close.
10)     Select Project-> Assign Baseline from your project menu and click Primary dropdown box.
11)     Select the baseline that you just maintained/ created and click Ok.

That should reflect the all changes that you make on your baseline.

If you required to copy the current project as your baseline follow this step.
1)     Select Project-> Maintain Baseline from your project menu
2)     Click Add and select “Save a copy of the current project as a new baseline” and click OK the close.
3)     Select Project-> Assign Baseline from your project menu and click Primary dropdown box.
4)     Select the baseline that you just created and click Ok.
Now you baseline is the exact copy of your current project.

For showing the link for your current bar you need to change the bar settings by clicking the bar icon and un-tick the Primary Baseline.
Note: if Baseline bar are active all link are shown on baseline.

Regards,
Rodel
Minhas Shaikh
hI
Still I am getting problems in Baseline in p3e.
can we copy same baselines with same project. I have tried but baseline dates are current project dates.
can you please guide me in detail.
Thanks and waiting for reply.
hamed planner
User offline. Last seen 16 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,

I am in v 5
Rodel Marasigan
Hamed,

What version of P3e are you using?
hamed planner
Hi Rodel,

I checked , when we asign base line , Primary and Secondary the only option we have is Primary Baseline Start& Finish , it does not give any for Primary Baseline early Start or early Finish,

Any way maybe i could dig it out From Schedule Variance ,

Thanks Again for your help ,

Hamed
Rodel Marasigan
Minhas,

Send me a PM with your email so I can reply to you in more detail.

Rodel
Minhas Shaikh
Dear Rodel,
Thank you for your time and reply. On follow your instructions I am able to make and update baseline.But still I have same problem.
In my schedule, some of activities’s duration shows one day in baseline , On current dates those activites have durations. Right now I need to change their baseline duration and assigned their original dates without distrubing other activities. Therefore, I need to change baseline dates. Can you please reply me in step by steps I will be thankful to you.
If you need to understand I can send you snap shots of my schedule.

Thanks again.
Rodel Marasigan
Hi Hamed,

If you don’t have any assigned baseline on your current active project, you won’t be able to select Baseline Early Start and Early Finish. It will show only Baseline start and Baseline finish (BL1 Start...etc..)

First create a baseline as stated on my previous post and assigned baseline. After doing that, you should be able to select Baseline Early Start and Baseline Early Finish. You can create as many baselines as you required but can assign 3 at a time.

Hope this help.

Rodel
hamed planner
Hi Rodel ,

I was looking at baseline bar Option, it only gave you option for Bl1 or 2 or 3 Start and Finish , Do you have any idea how to have Baseline 1 or 2 Early Start and Early Finish?? i want to use them in My Bar Chart comparison,

Please Let me know if you have any idea

Thanks,

Hamed
Rodel Marasigan
Hi Minhas,

If you follow my instruction you should be able to copy your project. All you need is to open your project that you want to copy as baseline and Select Project-> Maintain baseline. Choose Save a copy of current project and it should be save as baseline. The default name of your baseline is your current active project ending with "-B1".

HTH
Rodel
Minhas Shaikh
Dear Rodel
Thank you for reply..I will try in that way which you have suggested.
Moreover, can we copy baseline with copy of project.
e.g If I would try to copy one project with its assigned baseline . The new project would be with same baseline line.??
Actually, I want to save my schedule with baseline and need to little bit changes in my new project.
Waiting for your reply.
Thanks again
Rodel Marasigan
Hi Minhas,

I assumed that you are using P3e or P5. Yes you can change, edit or create as many baselines you like. Select Project-> Maintain Baseline under your project menu.

If you want to edit your baseline, select the baseline you want to update/ edit. Click Restore.

Note: If the baseline you want to update/ edit is currently attached to your active project, you need to detach it first. Select Project-> Assign Baseline under project menu. Remove or unlink the baseline you want to update/ edit by clicking the drop down list and change your baseline to or other save baseline.

After restoring the baseline you want to update/ edit, open that project and update/ edit the activities you want to change.

To create or add another baseline, Select Project-> Maintain Baseline and click Add.
You can select “Save a copy of current active project as new baseline”, assuming that the baseline you want to create is you current active/ open project. If not then select “Convert another project to a new baseline of a current project”. Using this method will remove your converted project baseline from your project list.

Regards,
Rodel