Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera P6 R7.0.0 Duration Request (showing instead of Original working duration the real calendar duration)

26 replies [Last post]
Adnan Kocak
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I have a question: If somebody helps me I will be appriciated.

Sample:

Activity Start Date: 31 August 2012 

Activity Finish Date: 25 February 2013

The Primavera defined duration from the defined calendar is showing me: 145 days.

but the real calendar duration from the start date to finish date is: 179 days.

In P6 our Employer's request is to show on the schedule the real duation instead of working duration. Also in the summary of the work schedule is showing in total 750 days instead of 912 days.

Is it possible to show the real calendar duration (total days) in the summaries of the work schedule.

I will be happy, if somebody from the friends here can help me, if they had before some request like that in the past.

Thank you very much.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

there is always a way to do things you just have to think through the process 

Giacomo Biagini
User offline. Last seen 4 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Zoltan,

thanks for the smart trick, much helpful. I always just believed who said it was not possible to show it. 

Zoltan Palffy

glad I could help 

Vishal Gourgonda
User offline. Last seen 5 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Zoltan Palffy .. nice illustration...!

Regards

Zoltan Palffy

I have your solution it involves 3 udf's user defined fields a 1 global change. This works I tested it 

go to Enterprise User Defined Fields

make sure that actviites up top is showing 

selet new right hand side

create these 3 udfs

UDF_START  and make the type an integer

UDF_FINISH and make the type and integer

UDF_#DAY and make the  type an integer

close

next select tools global change

select add rigth hand side

Where Original duration is greater than 0

Then UDF_START = Start

And UDF_FINISH = Finish

And UDF_#DAY = UDF_FINISH - UDF_START

right hand side select change

select Yes

then lower right Committ Changes

then select no

done 

now instead of displaying the Original duration column just display the UDF_#DAY column and if you want to you can edit the column name 

this works what you are doing is straight math here by setting the UDF_START and UDF_FINISH to calendar day numbers obtained from the start and finish dates and then just subtracting the finsh calendar day number from the start calendar day number to give you the UDF_#DAY to use as your duration. 

yalçın güner
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Try to "Hide if Emty" box check on via Group and Short Menu

yalçın güner

yalçın güner

chinchu vasudevan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

assign a 7 day calendar to each activities,

chinchu vasudevan

dear friend,

make a new 7day calendar & assign to all activities.

hope Your problem could be solved.

Manochehr Hosseini
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

something is possible for activities but not for wbs levels.

Using global changes is not possible here, even if you want to add a User defined field and make it equal to finish date - start date it will take in to the account the calendars. 

For activities the only possible way is to create a user defined filed, export the file in to the excel, calculating the variances between dates in excel then import it back. but it doesnt work for WBS levels. 

Regards,

Manochehr 

khairul Izani Othman

Any one can help on this problem?

Maybe there is a solution using global change? Anyone ??

Kaif Mohsin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Dear Adnan,

In P6 Rel 7, the duration for the summary at WBS level is calculated in the following two ways:

1. If all the activities lying under a WBS follow the same calendar then the duration at the summary level is calculated based upon that calendar only.

2. If the activities lying under a WBS have different calendars assigned to them then the duration at the summary level is calculated based upon the Project's Default calendar (the one that is assigned under the Defaults tab of the Project window).

So, the only solution possible to your query is the same as suggested by Mr. Raymund before that is to create a dummy activity for every WBS and set its activity calendar as 7 days. Then mark the 7 days calendar as the Project's default calendar under the Defaults tab of the Project window.

Regards,

Kaif

Kaif Mohsin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Dear Adnan,

In P6 Rel 7, the duration for the summary at WBS level is calculated in the following two ways:

1. If all the activities lying under a WBS follow the same calendar then the duration at the summary level is calculated based upon that calendar only.

2. If the activities lying under a WBS have more than one calendar assigned to them then the duration at the summary level is calculated based upon the Project's Default calendar (the one that is assigned under the Defaults tab of the Project window).

So, the only solution possible to your query is the same as suggested by Mr. Raymund before that is to create a dummy activity for every WBS and set its activity calendar as 7 days. Then mark the 7 days calendar as the Project's default calendar under the Defaults tab of the Project window.

Regards,

Kaif

Adnan Kocak

Raymund,

Thank you very much for your supoort. But still the durations are showing only the working days durations. Also by total project, if you filter the critical activities and hide in "group and sort" the emtpy summaries ("hide if empty") , the duration is showing only the working duration days.

regards

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Adnan,

All Calendars are intact.... it will not be affected by making the 7 days calendar as default.

It will just show what's your requirement is.

Adnan Kocak

Hi Raymund,

Sorry for my late response. If I make a default calendar with 7 days working day. What will be happen with the calendar what we have created with religious and holidays nonworking days ?

Adnan Kocak

Hi Raymund,

Sorry for my late response. If I make a default calendar with 7 days working day. What will be happen with the calendar what we have created with religious and holidays nonworking days ?

Raymund de Laza

Try creating a calendar with 7 days and make as the default calendar.... even witout adding a dummy activities...

Adnan Kocak

Hi Raymund,

Thank you for your response. But to give in a big schedule for every WBS code a dummy activity is not easy. Under every group will be an empty activity. I hope my friends can find another solution in our forum.

Thank you again.

Adnan

Adnan Kocak

Hi Raymund,

Thank you for your response. But to give in a big schedule for every WBS code a dummy activity is not easy. Under every group will be an empty activity. I hope my friends can find another solution in our forum.

Thank you again.

Adnan

Raymund de Laza

Hi,

Create a dummy activity for every WBS and set its activity calendar as 7 days.

Then mark the 7 days calendar as the default calendar and you get what you requires.

Adnan Kocak

Of course it's it will work with 7 days calendar. But we are working 6 days in a week. Also we have put the religious and holidays in the calendar as nonworking days. ıs there really no solution for this problem. Please help me.

Thank You..

Adnan Kocak

Of course it's it will work with 7 days calendar. But we are working 6 days in a week. Also we have put the religious and holidays in the calendar as nonworking days. ıs there really no solution for this problem. Please help me.

Thank You..

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

try creating a 7 days per week calendar and use it; I guess this will solve your problem

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Adnan,

Every one of us has wanted this for 10 years.  No one is listening