Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Original Duartion Increase and Comapre with BL Original Duration

3 replies [Last post]
Kasi Shokalingam
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

Hi,

I need to increase the original duration  for some activites due to additional work and see how the Project key dates affected.

I have the original Program with original Program base line assigned. No progress updated. so  actual duration is zero.

Then I increase the original duration  for required activities and run the schedule ( Data Date Project start date).  The key dates correctly shifted.

I incude the colums Original duration, BL1 Duration and Variance BL1 Duration for comparison. But i notice the BL1 base line duration  reduced. and hence the BL1 Variance also increased.

Some time the BL1 Original duration does not decrease and shows correctly. Most of the time it get reduced.

Please advice the correct method to comapre the  Baseline original duration and current increase original duration and the varianace original duration.

Regards

Kasi

Replies

Kasi Shokalingam
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

Hi SM,Mohd Nazzim,

Thanks for your feedback.

Your explanation on "When your project is not started then OD=RD (when this project is not updated with progress) ", helps partially to verify the duration added (Difference between Project remaining duration and BL1 remaining duration).

I will explain the background of this exercise.

I want to see the impact on shift in the original programme dates due to additional works. Hence original programme is used.

Hence i did not use the current progress updated program for this study, even though this will give the correct current shift in dates.

After the study using original program, we will study using the current program and see how to accelerate to mitigate the delay.

To make it simpler, Please refer to the below image

I have shown the original programme with no progress, the same programme converted as Base line and assigned as Project Baseline and Primary user baseline.

4. How to show the BL duration correctly same as OD?

1. The Project original programme OD, RD and BL1 RD are same. This is correct.
  2. The BL1 duration and BL project duration shows lesser duration than the OD. Why ?
  3. Due to this the Variance BL1 duration shows negative.

duration.jpg

Regards

Kasi 

Mohd Nizam
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

If you wish to use the modified program as a new base, you just need to remove the old baseline and replace it with the new baseline (which is your new program). you will not get confuse between BL1 and BL2

SM PUM
User offline. Last seen 10 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
For this you should have the understanding that how primavera calculates the origional dutration. OD= ES-EF When your project is not started then OD=RD. In your case your origional duration will change according to the change in ES & EF of the activities and that will be shown correctly.This is strange case that you have set the base line and have not finalized the duration and you want another project with increased duration.why do't you make changes and set the final project as baseline.Anyhow if you still wish to do what u want the Make changes and set this project as secondary baseline and add following columns to show the results BL1 Duration BL2 Duration Regards SM