Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Global Change to Dissolve activities in P6

4 replies [Last post]
Abdulhafiz Suara
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Hi esteemed planners,

Please anyone knows how to dissolve multiple activities( like 489 activities) using Global change (or any means at all)?

Thanks.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 27 min ago. Offline

Maybe the software needs to solve [re-link] the relationships one by one otherwise how it would handle relationships of other to be dissolved activities at the same time as you are asking.

Be careful with "dissolve" it can easily distort the schedule as to make it invalid because it makes some simple assumptions that might not be true. For example:

Activity 1, d=5 days

Activity 2, d=5 days predecessor links; 1 to 2 SS 5 days lag, 1 to 2 FF 5 days lag

Activity 3, d=5 days predecessor links; 2 to 3 SS 10 days lag, 2 to 3 FF 10 days lag

If you dissolve Activity 2 what will be the new relationships and which lag value, why not the other value? If Activity 2 had links to other activities this can get further complicated.

What if lag calendars are different, then which prevails?

Good practice calls for attention to these details, updating or re-scheduling is to be done right, no matter if it takes longer, Hammer's Rule [make it fit with a hammer] is no good here.

Maybe Dissolve functionality should be expanded as to display a dialog box after each dissolve, a window that will tell you what was before, how it was changed [including all relevant information such as lag values, lag calendars ...] an the option to cancel the dissolve, until then just avoid it unless you are sure it will perform 100% as you expect it.

Abdulhafiz Suara

Well Shahul,

It turns out that I can only dissolve one activity at a time, unlike deleting them. I'll be glad if u or anyone have a workaround.

Abdulhafiz Suara

Hi Shahul,

Thanks a great deal, I think Option 2 serves me better. You are valued!

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

hi Abdulhafiz Suara

1. If you have assigned activity codes then you can filter through codes to dissolve it
  2. If group of activities having similar activity name's then filter them using their names

Regards

Shahul