Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

The baseline is moving???

13 replies [Last post]
Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Gents,

One of my friend in Thailand have a problem on analysing schedule which his baseline keep moving.

I asked him to copy the original base line file and and coverted to baseline (maintain then further assign the schedule) to updated schedule.

But he replied the baseline still moving.

I never have this kind of problem so it’s hard for me to define the problem "what hell happen on his schedule"

is it none of you have a idea?

P/S :- I told him maybe your project won’t sail away forever ahhahaha hilarious

Replies

Ruel Camaquin
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

To Izam and Jathir,

Have you assigned a defined project baseline on you project and in the user baseline set it as primary, if you're not doing those then you baseline is always set to current which make it move most times. and in the Bar option, did you tick the project baseline box?

Ruel

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

that is IMPOSSIBLE a schedule does not move unless you change something and then re-schedule it. 

Shree Abdullah
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

THIS IS HAPPENING BECAUSE YOUR FRIEND HAS ASSIGNED THE PROJECT BASELINE IN ASSIGN BASLINE MENU but somehow while copying his project (maybe) he forgot to assign the primary baseline of the project. That is why his baseline is also moving. P6 does not know about those bars unless you assigned them the properly.

Therefore assign the primary baseline and your problem will be solved.

Ramraj R
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Hai rodel,

I am  ramraj r,new comer  here, thank u very much foryour valuable information regarding the baseline.

Regards

Ramrajr

Izam Zakaria
Guess my friend,myself,Jatinder and readers are so lucky since we’ve Sherlock and holmes right now :)

One case closed and we go to another case

I will let my friend know about this tomorrow, and wish him will fix his problem
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 52 min ago. Offline
Jatinder,
Correct me if my understanding is wrong. As I understand on your post you have not assigned a baseline for comparison and using the current project by default.

First Maintained a baseline. Project-> Maintain Baseline then click Add and select either Save a copy of a current Project as a new baseline if you want to use current project as baseline or Convert another Project to a new baseline of a current Project if you have an original baseline to use.

After maintaining a baseline selects Project-> Assigned Baseline. Then select which baseline you want to use (i.e. Project Baseline or User Baseline-> Primary then assign the baseline that you created. Now this is important to remember where you assign the baseline (Project Baseline or User Primary). If you assigned Project Baseline = BL Project and if User Primary = BL1 Baseline.

After assigning the baseline say Project Baseline then click Column icon-> then under Duration group select Variance - BL Project Duration (difference between Baseline and Current Duration), Variance - BL Project Start Date (difference between BL start and current start date), Variance - BL Project Finish Date (difference between BL finish and current finish date).

Note: If you don’t assigned BL1 then it will use current project and the difference is between current Project Planned Date vs current date.

Best Regards,
Rodel

Jatinder KUMAR
User offline. Last seen 9 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ronald,

Thanks for reply.My problem..
I created schedule..updated schedule.saved in same node.now i moved data date of live schedule.after update..i was looking slippage w.r.t. to previous update using "Variance BL Finish" or "Variance BL1 Column"
Variance BL Finish = BL Finish-Current Finish.In case of slippage..
1)It is showing me positive value in column which I think shpuld be negative..why??
2)Variance column..it is giving me difference of weird number which I know.. not right.Might be using planned dates by default 9as you mentioned earlier..how can i change these default thing??
Rodel Marasigan
Jatinder,
It means what is actually used as baseline? If you maintain and assigned baseline say User Primary baseline. What are you using in your Bar? Is it also User Primary or Project Baseline as timescale? If you are using Project Baseline as timescale on your Bar then it will not reflect the Primary baseline assigned and use what ever assigned on Project Baseline which by default is current project and will continue follow and move based on current project.
Jatinder KUMAR
User offline. Last seen 9 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ronald,
I am also facing the similair problem.What do mean by "actually define any Baselines".How we do that in P6??

How i do it :by putting baseline in Maintaining baseline..then assign baseline either baseline or primary baseline.

Is there any other step which I am missining to assign a baeline
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
The answer to the Case of the Mysteriously Moving Baseline is really quite simple; your friend has put up Baseline Bars but has forgot to actually define any Baselines. In this case, P6 will automatically use the Planned Date fields in its stead (without even asking if that would be acceptable.) You friend is watching his Planned dates ‘move’. Case solved! Chalk up another brilliant deduction by Sherlock Homes.
Izam Zakaria

baseline shouldn’t not move nowhere as originally it was created to be project management/scheduler reference.

but what happened to my friends, the baseline is keep moving when he did the analyzing(i don’t know the clear picture)

That’s is a reason i told him, the project won’t ending as he wish.
Rodel Marasigan
Izam,
Ask your friend if the baseline attached is the same as define in Project Window-> Settings tab-> Project Settings. He may attached the baseline on User define (Primary) but the setting is on Project Baseline which by default is current project that is why it keep moving.
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Izam

What does baseline moving mean?.

Does Activities dates are keep changing without user updating it ?