Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P5 Questions - (Moved to right forum !!)

13 replies [Last post]
Neil Brady
User offline. Last seen 14 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Guys

Looking for a bit of your collective expertise here.

I have a couple of questions as follows.

1. Detailed Summary Charts. Is it possible to have a summary bar that shows rolled up progress / manhours etc from lower levels ? I can get it to show a summary bar, but I can’t seem to have it show any summarised information.

2.More of a query regarding variations. How is this done with in the industry using P5 ? We are having problems coming up with a suitable strategy.

Take the variation hours and add them to the baselined hours - Loose any sense of reporting on what they were for.

Take the variations and add them in as seperate activities -fine in principle, we retain visability and reportability but as we time write against these activities it could be messy.

Any thoughts on how we might approach this ?

As always your advice is greatly appreciated !!

Cheers

Neil

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 30 min ago. Offline
Anoon,

Progress line is no longer available in P5/P6. This was replaced by new screen layout or view that all activities with actual progress will be line up to data date and showing a like split bar when the predecessor of the task is not yet complete depending on the type of relationship used. On this layout you can easily analyse and trace the logic and relationship. Unlike P3x your actual progress bar is crossing over the data date if the predecessor of the task is not yet completed.

Hope this help,
Rodel
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Rodel,

Is it possible to show Progress Line in P5/P6 (like in P3)?
I haven’t seen it in P6, I only got progress spotlight.
Rodel Marasigan
Anoon,

Yes it should be. Please note that it will work only if you have budget units and cost on your resources for more accurate data otherwise you will find that the summary will be not accurate figures.

HTH,
Rodel
Anoon Iimos
Rodel,

Is performance % complete the same as Physical progress? (% type)? Please note, activities physical progress were done manually.

Neil,

Duration type % progress is rolling up automatically in Projects view as well as Activities view. You can input values (% progress) to Level of Effort activities manually.
Neil Brady
Worked out how to have it show on the gantt chart as a bar

right click gantt - hit bars
Add a new bar - call it what you need then drop down "timescales" and choose "performance % complete"

Voila !!

Thanks for all your help guys

Neil
Rodel Marasigan
Neil,

Performance % complete is the same as Activity % complete. If you show both of them in the column you will find it the same. Activity % complete don’t have summary but performance % complete have.

HTH,
Rodel
Neil Brady
Rodel

Many thanks ! that solves a problem, however, is there any way that you know of to do this and have a bar that can appear on the gant that shows the rolled up % complete ?

Let me know

Neil
Rodel Marasigan
Neil,

You can used Performance % Complete as bar label in summary bar. This will summarise your actual progress as long as you have the budget units and budget cost for more accurate figures.

Hope this help,
Rodel
Neil Brady
Anoon

Not sure why the activity type would effect the ability to summarise the % complete up to the summary bar.

Perhaps you can expand on this

Cheers

Neil
Anoon Iimos
you got the LOE (Level of Effort) option,..also, i’m not sure, let me check and come back to you later...
Neil Brady
Anoon

Thanks for the reply - but I am looking for specifics.

I cannot seem to get it to show Activity % complete at a summary level.

I can see how to show the % complete bar, by going into bars and checking the "show bar when colapsed" in bar settings - however becuase i cannot get any rolled up % complete there is nothing to draw the bar !

I guess my question is now "How do i show the "Activity % complete" at a summary level"

Neil
Anoon Iimos
i think so, just be careful with the settings, specially when you’re using steps (weightings) and manually inputting Physical progress...
Neil Brady
Just an addition.

Specifically with regard to summary bars. I can get it to show the summary bar that displays the duration, however what I want is for it to also show the overall % complete bar next to it.

Is this possible ?

Neil