Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Original Duration does not changing after importing MPX

5 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I have imported a MS Project program in P6. But i noticed that the orginal duration of the project after importing is not changing , For example a duration is 15 , even if i change to 25 days , the early finish or nothing is affected..this applies to all activities......what is the solution for this type of problem....I have checked all this
a) Constraints
b) Project Window - Calculation tab - reset OD & REM. Units..& also reset remaining duration....
c) Checked all the user preferences tab etc.....

Still the problem presists, can anyone guide me...

regards,

Haresh Jayanth

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 3 min ago. Offline
Haresh,

When this option is selected, Budgeted, Remaining, and At Completion values are set to equal for not started activities. If you want to baseline, or hold constant, the Budgeted values in your project plan while recording updates to Remaining or At Completion values, unmark the checkbox to turn off this option. When this option is off, Budgeted values for a Not Started activity are retained when you update its Remaining or At Completion values.

Notes
•->If a Not Started activity has Actual Costs, Planned Cost and At Completion Cost are always unlinked, regardless of the setting for this option.

When the Link option is turned on and status of an activity is changed from Started to Not Started or, if you change the Link option from unlinked to linked, Primavera observes the ’Reset Original Duration and Units to Remaining’ setting to determine how to recalculate values.

•->If you manually plan future period resource distribution, this setting affects the values you enter in future period buckets.

How?
For not started activities, if this setting is marked, the total planned values of the Budgeted Units and Remaining (Early) Units for the assignment will always be equal.

For example, when you enter a value for a future period in the Budgeted Units field of the Resource Usage Spreadsheet, the Remaining (Early) Units field is automatically populated with the same value; the reverse is also true. If this setting is not marked, you can enter different values for the same future period in the Budgeted Units and Remaining (Early) Units fields; in this case, the total values for each field are calculated independently for the assignment.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Rodel,

Yes , that was the problem.......“Link Budget and At Completion for not started activities”......

Can you explain me the meaning of this check box , if possible.....

regards,

Haresh
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,

Can you check your settings by selecting this project under Project Window-> Calculation tab. Tick “Link Budget and At Completion for not started activities”. This will synchronise the update of OD & RD. Let me know if this is the problem or not so I can dig more on the issue.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Haresh Jayanth
Rodel,

I am sending you the copy of the imported program, kindly guide me.

regards,

Haresh
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
When MSP or MPX is imported to P6 activity type is default to resource dependent, duration type is default to Fixed Units/Time and Percent complete type is default to Duration %. Majority of broken link will have constrains.

I’m not sure what the exact problem is until I check the MPX file or the xer of imported MPX. For sure some setting might be preventing you to update imported MPX.
I’m assuming you are not using Project Link where you can able to view MPX or MSP file on a read only format. (It will have a green folder icon with a chain instead of gray folder).
Below link are useful references to guide you when importing MSP or MPX.
MPX mapping to P6

MSP mapping to P6