Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Original duration change during Import.

8 replies [Last post]
Jenny Ingco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

Why original duration changed when I import XER file and be not matching the start and finish date? I mean start and finish date show only five days but the original duration show 1 day.

Thank you,

HANSON 

Replies

Jenny Ingco

Rafael,

Thank you very much for your help... No, It dosn't change and currently I am using "At Complete duration" instead of the "original duration" which I think its more accurate.

Thank you again,

HANSON

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 16 min ago. Offline

Did the lag values, when other than zero also changed?

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Probably user preferences settings has changed.

Jenny Ingco

Thank you Gary and Roland for your quick help..

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Gary,

Although I understand what you are saying, that statement is not entirely correct.  Looked at in a different manner, P6 Original Duration is a calculated field.  All data is stored in hours and when presented on the screen in units of Days, is converted using one of two possible conversion factors.

If Hanson’s OD has changed, it is most likely that the conversion factor used is not the same as the one used on the other machine.  Good luck!

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Oriignal duration is not a calculated field. You can enter any value you like in it, and it will not affect your dates.

"At Complete" duration should give you the number of worknig days between actual start and actual finish

Jenny Ingco

Dear Sir,

Please, see the example below thats what I was trying to say.. Thank you,

Activity Name Original Duration Start Finish    
XXXXXX 42 01-Mar-12 A 08-Mar-12 A    
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Finish date is not calculated using original duration.

It is calculated using remainng duration.