Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

DIFFERENT HOURS PER TIME PERIOD IN P5

7 replies [Last post]
Suresh Sankaranku...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Friends,
Here is another interesting topic. How can we setup different "hours per time period" for different projects. The problem i faced was, in one project i want to specify the default hours as 10 and some projects are 8 hrs. I made 10hrs calender and 8 hrs calender.
Scenario:
I have a project which is having 10hrs work per day. So i have made a 10hrs calender for it. When i entered an activity of 2 days it should give me 2*budgeted units by default 10*2 =20 (using only one resource per activity and resource calender is also made for 10 hrs) here when u enter 20 hrs budgeted units the duration will be going to 3 days. And ofcource if you see the budgeted units / time in % it shows 125% . All makes crazy. Finally i found the default hours per time period in Time Units in User preference is set as 8 hrs per /day 40 hours per week etc etc. Now i went to admn preference and changed all to 10hrs perday 70hrs per week etc etc. OK. Now, I want to work on a different project which is having 8hrs per day only. So how can i set up different hours per time period for different projects........ I know you got mad now...but still i believe its an interesting topic.

Cheers
Suresh

Replies

Suresh Sankaranku...
Hi all,
Thanks for the hint and advise. I could successfully manage the problem and out of fear now. The pbm i found was we can keep the standard hrs of 8hrs in the admn preference and check on allow users to specify the number of work hours for each time period and change the required hrs per time period in user preference.

Cheers
Suresh
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi Suresh
This % is always misleading for beginners. A good explanation you’ll find under Help.
Edit --> User Preferences --> Time Units --> "Help Button" --> then read, especially under hours per time period.
The basis for calculation of unit of measure always is under Admin Preferences or within the User Preferences.
If your Resource has a 10h-shift, this is 125%.
While using different calendars you’ll better display hours instead of %.

Hi Sarah
the Global default calendar is used for the summary bars, and by default will be assigned to new projects and resources.

It’s reliable to use different calendars in P6 but not easy to understand. You’ll better test it first on your test database with a test project and some test resources. Play with different calendars for activities and resources and different units per time under the preferences and you’ll get a feeling.

Good luck!
Dieter
Sarah Benjamin
User offline. Last seen 15 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
have you checked on the global default calendar? i believe that is what primavera uses to calculate the duration, so be sure to check that setting.

Enterprise > Calendars > Global radio button on top > look at what is checked off... see about the working hrs/day in that calendar. change if necessary.
Suresh Sankaranku...
Hi All,
Well, I am using P5. I am using Budgeted Units as Hours and Duration as Days. If we use unit and duration as hours there wont be any prbs. I have 10hrs global calender for activity and resource. I was trying to put 60hrs budgeted unit for a duration of 8 days. Infact, When i use 10hrs calender with a 10hrs resource calender with max/unit of 100% it would show 10*8 = 80hrs. But here i am using 60hrs as the budgeted units so that it should give me

Budgeted units Duration Max. Unit /Time
60 hrs 08 Days 75%

I want to use 75% of the resource only to this activity for a duration of 08 Days. But while entering the budgeted hrs and maximum .unit /time as 75% P5 is giving 10 Days duration eventhough i have a 10hrs activity calender. Ok here we have set up the 10hrs through the admin perference and solved the problem. But what about if i want to work in another project which is having 08hrs activity calender ???
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Suresh,
As Dieter has pointed out there are some threads on PP that discuss this already;

I have taken the liberty of adding the links below; they are essentially in order of creation.

Enjoy

Andy

1. Admin Preference Workhours Carried To All Projects

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=8&Top=43523

2. Calculation Of Activity Duration ???????????????

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=8&Top=43107

3. Confirmation Or Debunking Of My Findings

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=8&Top=43697

I couldn’t get the links to work so I pasted the links in the post, just copy and paste them if the hyperlinks don’t work for you.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi Suresh
There were some more threads on this item already. Reason is the design of P5/P6: Everything is done by hours. The calculation between hours, days, weeks, and months is done according to the parameters within the admin preferences. Not according to project’s or activity’s calendar - by the way which should be used? So either enter duration hours or, for longer activities, use expected finish date --> let P5 calculate --> delete expected finish.
Hope this will help.
Regards
Dieter
Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
This is a fault in Primavera P5 wich Primavera want to ignore.