Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P5 - User Preference - Hours per Time Period

4 replies [Last post]
Julian Coetzee
User offline. Last seen 13 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Good Day

Please could sometime assist me by giving me the correct / default settings for the Hours per Time Period function in User Preferences settings. I want to know what the following is:

- Hours per day - 24hrs
- Hours per week - I have 168hrs - What is the default?
- Hours per month - I have 672hrs - What is the default?
- Hours per year - I have 8064hrs - What is the deault?

This is influencing my summary durations

Thanks

JC

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
Primavera basically calculates in hours. The displayed activity summary durations in days and weeks etc are calculated from factors in the User Preferences and therefore not all activity durations in days will display correctly when a project has multiple calendars with different hours per day for each calendar. Only activities where the assigned calendar hours per day matches the User Preferences will display the correct duration in days. P3 did not have this problem but SureTrak and MSP does. Asta has neatly programmed this issue out of PowerProject. Therefore different users will see different durations in days for activities in the same schedule when they have different User Preferences or when your client imports a schedule and has different User Preferences.

There is only one calendar for calculating all durations of Projects in the Projects workspace and WBS Nodes which is the default calendar checked in the Calendar form. Therefore when a project has very different calendars to the database Default Calendar is it unlikely that the durations of the Projects in the Projects workspace and WBS Nodes are likely to correct. It would be better for Primavera to calculate these summary durations based on elapsed durations or start and finish dates over a calendar assigned to a Nroject or WBS Node. The current situation does not allow any level of confidence of project or WBS Node durations.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Julian Coetzee
Hello Guys

Doesn’t anyone have any comment, you guys are too quiet hey!!!!
Julian Coetzee
I have summaries that show a completely different total duration then what the task sequence should add up to. All calendars are linked correctly, I am assuming it might be the settings mentioned earlier. Like in MS Projects, Tools Options Calendar settings, you can also set the hrs p/d, p/wk and p/mnth, if you change the durations there, it will affect your task and summary durations.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
i’m also not sure (to be honest); it seems that P5/P6 only considers an "8 hr/day work" when counting total durations irregardless of the specific calendar used. ..