Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hour per time period

5 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Planners

How the hour per time period are being calculated manually for month and year? for example:

8 hours/day is 48hr/w but how it gives 172 hr/m and 2000 hr/yr

Also, when we change the hours per time period under user prefernces, it does not change under calendar form, so we have to change it there again.

Regards,

Muataz

Replies

Xavier Ader
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Moutaz,

If you use only days as your duration unit, you don't need to worry about setting correctly the parameters for weeks, months and years. Personnaly, I never bother setting them because all my durations are entered in days, even when they are quite long, e.g. 150 days for some procurement lead times.

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Moutaz,

What Santosh meant by being manually set is that you have the freedom to determine how many hour make a monnth or year.

Based your example of 8hours/day working time, I'd set the following for week, month & year for a 5-day week.

Option 1:

• Hours/Week = hours/day * 5 = 8 * 5 = 40 (assumes 5 days in a week)
  • Hours/Month = hours/week * 4 = 40 * 4 = 160 (assumes 4 weeks  in a month)
  • Hours/Year = hours/month * 12 = 160 * 12 = 1920 (assumes 12 months in a year)

Option 2:

• Hours/Week = hours/day * 5 = 8 * 5 = 40 (assumes 5 working days in a week)
  • Hours/Month = hours/day * 22 = 8 * 22 = 176 (assumes 22 working days in a month)
  • Hours/Year = hours/week * 50 = 40 * 50 = 2000 (assumes 50 working weeks in a year)

As you can see, both options are valid as long as you state and document your assumptions in a Schedule Basis or Schedule Memorandum document.

The 172 hours/month that comes as default in P6 is based on 8 hrs/day * 21.5 = 172 and this assumes 21.5 working days in a month. And the 2000 hours/year assumes 50 working weeks in a year, i.e. 40 hrs/week * 50 = 2000

===

Jerome

www.plannersplace.com

moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Santosh and Zoltan,

I know it is manually set and there are standard working hours per week, month, and year.

for week it is very easy to calculate it whatever the working hours/day is, but how to calculate it for month and year.

how many working days per month if the working days per week 5 days for example?

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 20 hours ago. Offline

those are standard working hours per week, month and year

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

It isn't calculated, it is manually set. P6 calculated all durations in hours. The values that are set here is what P6 uses to return the values to hours. For example using the values you give, if you enter a duration of 1w P6 would determine that task as being 48hrs long, and then spread that 48hrs across the available hours you set in the calendar.