Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Transfering P3 Files from 1 Computer to Another Help

7 replies [Last post]
amit amit
User offline. Last seen 16 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi

How do I transfer my P3 Files on my laptop to my computer?
Is it Possible?

Every time I copy the folder with all the P3 files on my
laptop to my Computer hard disk P3 Root Folder in c drive, I always get a message saying "Target Project Not Found" when opening the file I just transferred.
Where do I find the actual Path of the P3 file which needs to be opened? Such as when you open a word file you open the extension saying .doc. What is the extension I need to copy to the hard drive so the file can open?

Thanks

Replies

ruben quintal
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
heres one of the way that works for me,
Go to File,Open,select the Project you want to open, then click the properties tab below, look for targets and uncheck all loaded targets, click ok. you can now open the project.

cheers,
ben
Santhosh kumar Na...
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
if you copy the entire folder it will not ask you for target file i think u r copying or back up only the current file with ot target. better u back up all relevant fileas in a separate folder and copy that folder to ur PC or CD!!!!
amit amit
User offline. Last seen 16 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for your help everyone. I have now managed to transfer the files to my hard disk.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 23 hours 11 min ago. Offline
Hi amit,

P3 files are found as default c:\P3WIN\PROJECTS. All your P3 programme consist of 23 files or library with all starting of 4 character of your P3 project with the extension of (.P3) like (.doc) on Word documents. You can copy or moves this file into different folder or drives if you wished by simple coping or moving to another location. Another way of doing it is to use P3 utilities under your P3 menu. Select Tools-> Project Utilities-> Back-up and use Restore in another computer. You can also use check-in/check-out but you need to check-out first before you can check-in.

Regards,
Rodel
Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sir,
I think u dont have P3 Loaded in your PC , thats why ur pc is unable to recognize the Project .
If P3 is loaded in your PC then u can put your project in all location in the hard drive and it need not be only in the primavera project root directory = (C:\P3WIN\PROJECTS) , U have to copy all the files related to the project better i will tell you two ways of doing this
 Open P3
 Go to Tools >Project Utilities> Copy : In the from part select the Project u want to copy
In To part select location ( Preferably Pen Drive F: ) where u want to copy it , name the 4 Character name in project group (and not project name), click copy and the project is copied.
 Remove the pendrive and put in your PC , copy back to any folder in you pc .
 Open p3 in your PC , then CTrl +o , and select the project from the location where u saved in pc

2. Do the same with Tools >Project Utilities> back up and restore function there

HTH
Deb
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
I would imagine that P3 has an Export/Import function or check out/check in. and that you would need a version of the software on your PC.??

That’s how P3e orks - haven’t used P3, but I would think it would work simmilarly.

Andy