Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Method to calculate production rate of a welders

4 replies [Last post]
vellu shanmugam
User offline. Last seen 13 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Please help to calculate the production rate of a welder to weld a steel length of 122 linear meter with 25mm thickness?

You can also email to my email id: vellu023@yahoo.com

Replies

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Vellu

Suggest using following for manual welding;

• 25 mm full penetration weld  between 6hr/ml and 10hr/ml
  • 25 mm fillet weld say leg lenght 10 mm between 1.5hr/ml and 2.7hr/ml

The spread  dependent on conditions and location

Regards Johannes 

andrew smith
User offline. Last seen 12 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I had no idea such a formula even existed, but I am sure it's quite useful if you have a welding business and need to figure out how to cut the costs. As far as I am concerned, the miller welders I used to build my porch iron railing was more than enough for the job.

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear vellu,

This depends on:
a. the process that you are using
b. the thickness of the welding wire
c. the capacity of the machine
d. the approved welding procedure.
e. the number of machines

I would recommend that you use MIG semi automatic or automatic welding with 1.2 or 1.6mm thick wire. Depending on the machine that you have.

The rate of deposite depends on the welder. The average rate is around 250 linear meters per shift (12 hours) per welder for 10mm size weld. This is a rough figure you can use. If you are doing NDT after the Root weld, then this you need to stop until the results are completed.

Usually this size weld will require 100% MPI+UT+RT and if you are using this place for Pressure Vessels, then you need PWHT as well with hardness testing afterwards.

The best source of information would be the Factory Manager or Welding Engineer or Fabrication Supervisor at the shop in place.

With kind regards,

Samer
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
check this formula

Productivity rate =[work quantity]/activity duration*resource useage