Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to create an project plan?

10 replies [Last post]
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 14 hours ago. Offline
Hi to all

I would like to know what are the factors involved in developing a programme right from level 1.What are the issues to be considered and what kind assumptions are required?

Regards
Shahul

Replies

Shah. HB
Mr.Mike, i have experianced some concepts from a year of investment in electromechanical field and i will follow the way you stated

Many thanks for your support
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Shahul

So - with one year experience as Electro Mechanical engineer you should have some idea of how your work fits into the building process.

For instance you can’t fix anything until someone else has built the place to fix it to.

So you will need a detailed construction programme before you can realistically plan any of your work.

Unfortunately you are most likely faced with a very broad "top down" programme where all the detail is lumped together in multi trade - multi location bars.

Therefore in your programme where you need to fix something and you have no construction detail then fix a milestone and work on from there - for instance.

Instsll AHU’s on Roof Plant Deck.

Set a milestone called - Roof Plant Deck Ready - and use a flag constraint to hold it.

Then put in the AHU’s and the systems that they serve.

At the other end you will need to know when the ceiling zones are clear for the high level ductwork all along the duct route.

This will need another fixed milestone if the construction plan is not sufficiently detailed.

You must then send your milestones to the contractor and give notice if any of them are late.

In the meantime keep looking and learning what is happeneing on site. If you don’t know then ask someone who does.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Shah. HB
Hi Mr. mike I didn’t state 1.6 years,It is my mistake did while creating a profile now i am updating it. I am in electromechanical company of a year experience
Mike Testro
Hi Shahul

I have just had anither look at your first thread and I would advocate that you start from Level 4 and work up to Level 1.

As Samer said - start with a single task and build upwards to the completion of the project.

You are putting the work down in sequence as it is built in your mind.

As I have often said - If you cant build it you cant plan it.

You state 1.6 years planning - what is your Building background?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Shah. HB
Thanks Mr.Mike & MR.Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Shahul,

In addition to the remarks made by the experts, kindly consider the following:

The theory of the Planning Process is very well documented in the PMBOK, 4e. If you read it a few times, you can start building us your Program of Works from the basic activities until you complete all the scope that is required from you.

The actual work is done using softwares, which you need to buy and and learn step by step either by taking courses or by teaching yourself.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Shahul

You can also visit the Planning Engineers Website and look at the paper by Gary France on Questions to Ask beflre Planning.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Shah. HB
Thanks Mr.Raviraj and Mr.Vladimir
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
As vladimir has said, it is not possible to answer in one single thread. However, apart from recomended readings by Vladimir, u can also go through following RP’s from aacei.

http://www.aacei.org/technical/rp.shtml

How to do baseline analysis:

http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/rabaseline.htm

Cheers,

Ravi
Shahul, project plan is the large document that includes project schedule, project budget, communication plan, quality management plan, contract requirements, risk management plan, etc. It is not the question that can be alswered in the forum message. There are books on project management and PM standards like PMBOK Guide that shall be studied first.
If you mean creating project schedule then you can look at step by step instructions that are included in Spider Project Help (Project Scheduling Technique). You can download Spider Project Demo where these instructions are included from http://www.spiderproject.ru/demo_e.php
Best Regards,
Vladimir