Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

High Level Programme- Refurbishment of Hotels

11 replies [Last post]
Civilila 77
User offline. Last seen 7 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,

I need your professional advice on how to establish/ develope a programme for refurbishment of hotel? what is the specific/ main issues which required to be considered in such a project/ I have experience in planning of hotels & towers but have not worked in hotel refurbishment project before. Any suggestion is highly appreciated;)

Replies

PLEASE I KINDLY ASK YOU TO

how to prepare the tender planning for tender purposes to B+G+4TYPICAL FLOOR APPARTMENT PROJERCT ???

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear C.,

Please consider the following from experience:
Q: 1- in such a project is it better to go for traditional way of tendering (design then tender) or fast track method?
Answer 1: Complete the Design then Tender.

Q2- is 9 month enough for design & tender by traditional way?
Answer: This depends on the design office and the approval procedure. Basically it depends on the parties envoled and the level of authority. This duration depends on the size of the project and the complexity.

Q3- in abcense of lead consultant on the project how the duration of design stage will be effected?
Answer: Without good coordination effort by a professional expert, you should expect that this stage will be late.

Q4- in construction stage, what will be the approx. lag between start of demolition works & refurbishment works
Answer: The demolition time depends on the size of the project and the resources available. The start of the finishes depends on the approval of the material and the shop drawings. Bascially you will be all right to start the finishes works if you are able to complete the shop drawings for the electrical, mechanical, and civil works and get the material approved within 1-2 weeks.

Best Regards,

Samer
Civilila 77
Samer thanks for your advice for sure I will come back to you soon as soon as I find out more about details of construction policy & method;)
Civilila 77
Thanks Mike
I do agree with you; traditional way has less risk & 9 monthes well...COULD be a fare duration (for all design- coordinations-approvals & tender);)
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Civila

2- is 9 month enough for design & tender by traditional way?

9 months should be plenty of time.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Civila

1- in such a project is it better to go for traditional way of tendering (design then tender) or fast track method?

Traditional is better - it will save a lot of disputes and you will get a truly comparable price on a fixed scope\of works.

3- in abcense of lead consultant on the project how the duration of design stage will be effected?

Very badly - no one will have sole responsibilty for delivery and there will be squabbles among the section designers.

4- in construction stage, what will be the approx. lag between start of demolition works & refurbishment works

By demolition works do yuou meean total demolition or non structural strip out?

In any case you cannot start any refurb work while demolition is going on. If it is fairly light strip out you can sart at the top with that and then follow down each floor with the next set of trades.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Civilila 77
Thanks all for the inputs.
In fact this project is refurbishment with closing out the hotel for the complete period of 18 months during construction. Preconstruction period (design & tender) is 9 months. Now what i want to make sure of is that:
1- in such a project is it better to go for traditional way of tendering (design then tender) or fast track method?
3- in abcense of lead consultant on the project how the duration of design stage will be effected?
4- in construction stage, what will be the approx. lag between start of demolition works & refurbishment works?
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Civilila,

Please ask for any detail you like to know about.
The first take would be to divide the project into phases.

1. Phases which are independent. These are areas that can start and end independent from the other area.

2. Inter-related Phases: these are areas where you can start after the start of the 1st stage.

3. Phases which you do not know when you are doing to start, but you will figure it out while you are working.

The key learning lessons from a successful project that I have just completed ar the following:

1. Highly experienced project manager
2. Highly experienced subcontractors.
3. Hiring the Best Contractor in the business
4. Repeat: Plan Do Check Act daily.

The main objective of the project would be to ensure the satisfaction of the customers and in this case it is the Operator. The largest money generating source of income for a hotel is the Main Ballroom. So I would suggest that you concentrate on that and ensure that it is completed ahead of time.

The upper level support throughtout the day on site is a must. And high level of coordination between the project stakeholders is necessary.

Let us know at which stage you are and what is your specific question.

Best Regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Civilila

Everything depends on whether the hotel is occupied during refurbishment.

Let me know further.

Best regards

Mike Testro
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Civilila 77,

- Traffic impact (route plan for equipment)
- Storage of materials
- Phasing (partial turnover schedule), hotel owners are very particular of their IRRs
- Isolation works of unaffected rooms due to noise and dust
- All work are being undertaken during the working day, when most guest are out of the hotel
-Type of scaffolding to use due to available working area

Maybe experts can contribute more, but the problematic issue on this type of work is in dealing with complaints from hotel guests (if it is a partial renovations and part of the hotel is open for business).

R. Catalan
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
You may start reading the Contract; Scope of Works; Bill of Quantities (if any).