Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Level 2 and Level 3 Plans

4 replies [Last post]
Dave Turnbull
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Could anyone tell me if there is any guide lines/rules etc to the difference between level 2 and 3 plans? I know more detail is included in a level 3 but just wanted to know if there was any rules i should follow.

Thank you for any help

Replies

Dave Turnbull
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you every much for your help/links/advice. I have been informed it does state in the contract what is expected in the level 2 plan etc.

it is always good to know good advice is at hand
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 hours ago. Offline
Hi Karim
Thank you for the excellent link!

Hi Dave

I agree to what John wrote for the different levels: Use common sense and don’t think too complicate. Often it is part of the contract, what should be delievered in the different levels. Basis must be a common plan from which you create the different views using filters and/or collapse data.
In any case it should be agreed during the start-up - e.g. the kick-off meeting - between all parties/stakeholders.
Regards
Dieter

John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dave,

Just apply a bit of common sense, rembering a level II is only a summation of the detail in your level III plan, with level I being a summation of the level II.

When setting up a plan I try to think what does the person reading the plan will want to know and be be able to understand and follow. Bearing in mind I will have to be easily and quickly acuratly progress the plans etc.

I normally break the work down into whatever is sensible to the project. This could be a breakdown by Work Location, Work Phase, Work Stage, Disciplnes, Systems, Sub System, Contractors. etc etc.

For the number of activites for the plans will depend on the size of the projects. Using a rule of thumb I try to keep level I & II plans onto single sheets of paper. This always looks better in the weekly/monthly progress reports!

I always discuss with the Manger/Director what their ideas are on the subject of levels of planning, at the same time showing them what I have produced.

A final point is to check the contract requirements, they may have specifiled what is required for levels of planning.

Above seems to have worked over the years!!

Regards

John L.

Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline