Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Mechanical & Electrical commissioning

3 replies [Last post]
Neil Branigan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all fellow planners,

I’ve just picked up a contractor’s schedule to outline the construction of a new transport terminal extension. It’s obviously broken down into phases per floor - this is a 4 -level building.

We have Mechanical & Electrical works in 1st/2nd and 3 fixes. However, commissioning starts just before the end of the 3rd fix, leaving the commissioning on a very tight critical path.

My belief is that M & E commissioning should start when approximately 50% of the 2nd fix is complete; others say straight after 1st fix! If the latter was the case, we could all sleep soundly at night.

There’s a divided opinion here. Please give me some direction...

Cheers
Neil.

Replies

Paul Clarke
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Neil

I can help with this as I carry out services planning and worked as a commissioning manager for several years.

It would be just great if we could start commissioning at the end of 1st fix but unfortunately this is not possible, and as Andrew says it depends on your planners definition and content of his 2nd fix activities.

I know it sounds obvious but what you are looking for is system completion. In your case I guess you will have at least 2 enclosed water systems (a heating system (LTHW) and a chilled water system (CHW)) and several ventilation systems. If you can work out when these systems will be complete (we are talking 100% here and nothing less!) then this will give you your commissioning start dates.

Mechanical system commissioning should start with a water systems as 9 times out of 10 these form part of the commissioning critical path. Aim to ensure that the larger of the 2 water systems is completed first as cleaning and balancing are directly related to the system size.

Electrical testing will need to start prior to your mechanical commissioning as power is required for this.

Get in touch if you want to discuss this further, I’m sure I have got a commissioning flow chart somewhere which will help you, and I would be happy to help with advise on your programme.

Paul.
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
This is a common problem, unless you are a qualified M & E engineer it is difficult to actually define what commissioning means.

It can be broken down into stages

Testing of systems as work proceeds. - pressure tests etc
Static completion of plant and systems
Flushing & cleaning wet systems,
Blowing out and claening duct systems,
Setting to work plant

All of the above can be progressed as work nears completion
at end of/during 2nd fix (depending on the interpretation of 2nd fix)

Get your sun contractor to explain what they mean by commissioning and what constraints they put on your programme!

Final balancing of air and water systems needs each system to be balanced complete, windows and doors in place permenant power on etc.
MUHAMMAD IQBAL
User offline. Last seen 6 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
use pre commissioning & testing

and after that use Commissioning & Testing

thanks
Iqbal