Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calculating cost on minimum day rate item

5 replies [Last post]
Harry Angell
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

We have a scenario where a crane costs us say £1,500 per day (8hr day). Even if the crane is only used for 1hr, we still get charged for the whole day. if we go over 8hr a day then it's charged at £45 p/h.

I don't really know how to establish a payrate using these figures. £1,500/8=£174p/h so I cannot simply use that pricing per hour, and that wouldnt accomodate the minimum unit of 1 day @ £1,500.

I found a post here http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/microsoft-project/545518/how-specify-rate-day-regardless-hours-worked-day which suggested using a hammock task, but quite often the tasks where a crane would be required wouldn't be consecutive.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 27 min ago. Offline

Mike, calendars and partial workloads can complicate the calculations.  How would you model the cost of the crane for the following scenario?

Crane_Sharing_03

Calculating_cost_on_minimum_day_rate_item

Crane sharing is very common.

Crane_Sharing_02

Mike,

I do not understand your proposal. Please explain how these resource shall be assigned and how the project shall be leveled.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Harry

The only way I can suggest is to set up 8 crane resource setcions each with 1 to 8 cost hours attached and allocate accordingly to the relevant task.

You then have the problem of delivery and collection costs at each deployment unles it is on unpaid standby when not in use.

Best  regards

Mike T.

Harry Angell
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike,

It's a mobile crane that would be called off as and when needed. 

Harry

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Harry

Is it a mobile crane that is called as and when or a fixed crane that is there all the time?

Best regards

Mike T.