Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

To be an international recognised planner ?????

7 replies [Last post]
Pui Ying Sin
User offline. Last seen 7 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I'm asking for professional advices that need your kindly help. 

Short backgrounf of myself -

I have been working in Planning (in tender team, construction industry) for 2 years. Before I was working in a geotechnical engineering field as I have a Geo background. After two years working in planning I'm determnined to continue my career as a planner. I'm abit confused of what to do to make myself a professional and qualified planner...Please help to clear my doubts:

1, I dont exactly have an engineering background. I hold a bachelor degree of Earth Sciences. Is it necessaary to futher my study so as to have a more solid engineering qualification? If so, I'm considering MSC Construction Management. Is it actually necessary? I was told all I need to stay in this industry as a planner is to gain as much as work experience and referncess as I can. So does that mean taking a MSC isn't necessary?

2, I know there are certifications available from PMI and AACEi that represents professional qualification as planner. But it seems to me that they are for manager grade?

I'm actually looking for opportunities outside my home country. That's why I'm after international recognised qulaification. 

I want to take my next step and I desperately need your help!

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

Polly 

Replies

abrugar jons
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Hello All

This is Such a great idea share post. Thank You all. Thank You so Much

Best Regards

abrugar

Paul Giamalvo
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Emad,

Go BACK to the Forum Home Page then go to the bottom and scroll down the BOTTOM LEFT and you will see "Group Forums".  Click on that and will bring you to another higher level heading.

Pick the one which is most relevant and then Click on that Forum.  Under the heading for that Forum in the upper right middle, you will see "Post a new Forum Topic"......   Click on that and you should be ready to rock and roll with your question.....

Hope this helps you?

BR,
Dr. PDG, Jakarta, Indonesia

emad jahangard
User offline. Last seen 7 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

i'm sorry where can i ask my qustion ??

Paul Giamalvo
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Polly,

As the Guild of Project Controls Credentials are very close to "going live" and unlike PMI and AACE the GPC approach is to focus on COMPETENCY and not just the ability to pass multiple choice exams, there is nothing to stop you from starting your application NOW.......  

To get started go HERE http://www.planningplanet.com/guild/certification, sign up and start developing your profile. Important that you pick a MENTOR from amongst the Guild Fellows to help you.

As preparing for the exam will take you anywhere between 90 to 200 hours, you also need to start studying for the exam itself which we are getting very close to finalizing the questions on right now.   So your second step would be to go HERE http://www.planningplanet.com/guild/GPCCAR-modules and download soft copy of the Guild of Project Controls Compendium and References.   As the Guild has taken a PROCESS based approach, I would HIGHLY recommend that you study the entire GPCCAR otherwise you risk missing out on some of the process steps.

Based on 25+ years of experience preparing young professionals to take the PMI and/or AACE certifications, it take a MINIMUM of 90 days a MAXIMUM of 200 days but most likely it will take you about 120 days of study to be able to fill in the application, and prepare for the exam with an 80% probability of passing on the first attempt.  That works out to be just about an hour per day of honest, legitimate study.

Lastly to prove that the GPC credentials are "credible" and are not just another "money making scam" here is a benchmark research which shows that the Guild of Project Controls credentials compare very favorably against the US Professional Engineer (PE) license and depnding on the level of certification you qualify for, are ranked higher than the AACE or PMI equivalents.   http://pmworldjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/pmwj30-Jan2015-Giammalvo-Certification-Benchmarking-2015-update-featured-paper.pdf 

I
F you have any furhter questions don't hesitate to ask them as we are hoping to create an "FAQ" page on the certifications shortly.

BR,
Dr. PDG, Jakarta, Indonesia   

http://www.build-project-management-competency.com

Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hello Pui,

As Mike said you need Field Experience which will make you much better. There you will come to know what is done , how it is done, what problem we would have when doing it and how to resolve it.

When you get into field then only you would come to know of the issues then you will try to find the answers.

Regarding Qualification - Most of the Companies ask for a Engineering Degree in Chemical, Mechanical , E & I. 

Regards

Jithin

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 3 days 9 hours ago. Offline

The only two qualifications that matter at present are the PMI-SP and AACEi's PSP.  The Panning Planr Guild is still a short way off.

The certification with the least experience requirements is PMI-SP. the requirements are: 

• Three to five years of project scheduling experience, and 
  • A minimum of 3,500 hours of unique, non-overlapping experience** within project scheduling, and
  • 30 contact hours of formal education.

None of the certifications are focused on 'playing with software' - they all in different ways look at the way planners and schedulers can contribute to project success.  For more on the PMI-SP see: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Training-Planning.html

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 day 22 hours ago. Offline

Hi Pui

To be a construction planner you have to know how to build things - otherwise you are a scheduler putting someone elses plan into the software.

Therefore get out on site as much as you can - learn the processes - ask questions - get some mud on your boots.

Your first step is to join the Guild of Project Controls and work your way up through the grades.

Best regards

Mike Testro