Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the difference between Planner, Project Planner and Planning Engineer?

2 replies [Last post]
Yasine Ali
User offline. Last seen 4 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests what are the differences between these roles?

At the moment my title is Assistant Planner.

I produce both strategic and operational programmes to project requirements and also monitor/ analyse the project/ work with Project managers/ Site visits etc. Recently I have started progressing projects in terms of money and how much is owed based on percentages.

I have looked at the above titles and all seem very similar online, I wanted to get your opinion to whether my role is best described as Planner, Project Planner or Planning Engineer. The reason why I ask is, the people we work with from other companies have the title Planning Engineer.

Thanks in advance for any input on this topic.

Yas.

Replies

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 3 days 9 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Agree with Mike, Engieers should be qualified in an engineering dscipline.  The difference between planning and scheduing is more subtle see: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/WhitePapers/WP1039_Project_Planning.pdf

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 day 22 hours ago. Offline

Hi Yasine

Until you know how to build the project your title is Programme Schedular - which means you know how to manipulate the software but do not have a clue as to how the building is constructed.

When you know how it is built you can add the term "Planner" to any title you prefer.

Best regards

Mike Testro