Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What do expect from junior planner?

7 replies [Last post]
Morph T
User offline. Last seen 17 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi
If you want to hire a junior PP for roadway, airfield construction, what skills do you expect he has? In term of
- fluency of English
- Education background
- Planning software (P3, MS project …)
- CAD software ( if required at all )
- Minimum previous experience (design, field supervision….)

I am speaking about the Middle East region (as I heard it is the new Eldorado for construction industry), I wonder if having a good fluency in French can make an advantage?

Regards
Morph

Replies

ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,Clive

I’m respecting your idea but still i have confident that the only wright persone to get the actual&correct quantities (recap quantities)is the quantity survyor .
I’m not talking about the quantities mentioned in the tender B.O.Q which is prepared for pricing purpose as you said but i was talking about the actual and correct quantities for each activites taking into your consideration that many other works have to be taken from the B.O.Q like provisional sums items where it is not shown or detailed in the drawings and it may be used complately , partially or not to be used at all based on the client instructions but in all the cases we have to allow a proper time in the work progamme to execute those activities as per the contract.
This is my opinion.

Thanks
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Ashraf
The problem with the majority of QS quantities is they are taken off for pricing purposes and often are not trade specific.
The quants are therefore grouped and do not fit readily to the programme activities which then requires them to be subdivided or rejigged.
As to using cadd to carry out the task again I would suggest the planner would be better to do this from the hard drawing as it usually ends up to be quicker.
Clive
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi MOrph,I can also recommend what Dona said except the following:-
*The importancy of knowing CAD software in order to get the quantities and insert the same in P3 because i beleive that the estimation of the quntities is the responsibilty of the Quntity Surveyor not the planner.

*Minimum previous experience could be in (design) since te field experience is very important.

The above is my own opinion.
Dana Qandah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Morph, you don’t have to be fluent in English, but good enough to write letters as our government (in JORDAN) uses the FIDIC so all our contract documents and correspondence are in English

Mohmmad, yes you are right, I meant in Jordan it is not a plus
Morph T
User offline. Last seen 17 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
hi all

what do you mean to be fluent in English, in the construction industry.

Regards
morph
Mohamed Kamal
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Morph, I agree with what Dana Said except if the case in North Africa, Algeria, Tunisia and Moroco, French is the first Language there... also in Egypt there are few contracts that is in French.
Dana Qandah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
I will comment same order raised by you:

- Fluency of English :Definitely
- Education background: Architectural or Civil engineering
- Planning software (P3, MS project …): P3
- CAD software ( if required at all ): you don’t require to make drawings, just to know how to get information i.e getting quantities to insert it in P3
- Minimum previous experience :field experience

and about French i don’t think it will add anything.

of course this is my personal opinion , GOOD LUCK