Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Becoming a Planner?

5 replies [Last post]
ibrar ulhaq
User offline. Last seen 15 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am a graphic engineer, with a HND in computing.
I have got myself a P3 package/software, but I am not sure where to get training and how to get a job in planning!
also what the salary.. i am new to this therefore
whats the starting/ what can it go up to?
was told to get into Railways!

Replies

John Smitt
User offline. Last seen 17 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
in response to the above answeres i can say it my be good to get into and at present there are lots of jobs in planning and as things become more wrapped up in processes and health and saftey, planning will be needed more. Will software kill the skills needed today and will we end up as glorified office administrators?

I don’t know but IT is hard and it is hard to keep up, no sooner had I finished the microsoft curriculum then the next version came out and thus making a need for 2 upgrade exams at great cost. It is the most popular thing to get into which has driven wages very very low considering the knowledge/skills one must have.
I’d say stay away from IT, the only people who make money in IT are those who were good at it in school and continue to do it now many years later. IT takes a long time to become good and experienced, you have to go through at least 5 years to learn basics on very low money.

oh and most of them are wierd!
ibrar ulhaq
your right jaco. but money helps you get through life easier.

regards
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Have a look at the job page.

Remember Planning is not about the money but it is about the Challenge. etc

Cheers
ibrar ulhaq
any idea?
ibrar ulhaq
yes that helps. thank you.
I know now this may be a silly question as it has so many factors involed in it.
but as an rail planner with 1 years experience how much is the salary?
and how CAN it go up to 5 years..
problem for me is that i am not fully sure weather i should enter the planning or enter the IT. its of course a decision I have to make but the more i know about them both the better planing I can make for the future
regards
Ibrar