Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to become a delay analyst?

5 replies [Last post]
Ian Mackrell
User offline. Last seen 10 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

I hope someone can give me advice on what should be my next move to become a delay analyst.

I have been a planner for a number of years (8) with plenty of experience of EOT's and I am also due to graduate next month for a MSc Construction Law & Arbitration (Dissertation was about Delay and Disruption techniques).  This has give me MCIarb letters and was considering doing the APC route for the RICS, however, being a contract planner would be difficult to gain this experience for RICS.

I notice a few planning experts have come from the QS route.  IS this experience neccesary to become a claims consultant/delay analyst?  Also, would i need to take a step back in pay to train as a forensic planner for a law firm say?

I feel this website would be the best for this advice.

Thanks

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi CH L

Paper qualifications are only an "add on" to hard won practical experience.

If you do not know the basis of delay analysis - and there is no degree course that will teach you - then you will not get very far on your own.

Best regards

Mike Testro

TII WS
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Can I know if becoming a charter arbitrator will help the course?

Mike Testro

Hi Ian

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Ian Mackrell
User offline. Last seen 10 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for your feedback Mike - it was you I was thinking of with regards to a QS background!

You have confirmed my thoughts as to get a trainee position, tempting as it is to bump my rates up! 

It has took me to do a masters to only realise the tangled web when dealing with complex delays, so to sit at the feet of another seems to be the best option.  I shall crack on with updating my CV then.

Much appreciated

Ian

Mike Testro

Hi Ian

When I started as a delay analyst 20 years ago I just bought the software and had the cards printed and put my rates up.

it is different now but you seem to be on the right track.

My suggestion is that you get a position as an assistant delay analyst with a smallish consultancy firm and learn the Dark Art at the feet of experts.

You do not need a QS degree but you do need a thourough understanding of construction techniques and the effect of change on the construction process - and you can't learn that from books or degrees.

My last arbitration was on the topic of Fibre Optic cable networks so before I did anything else I spen a few days with an experienced engineer and did nothing but ask questions.

The previous one was on Offshore Oil Rigs so I did the same.

Good luck and best regards

Mike Testro