Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A PLANNER???

33 replies [Last post]
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Planning & scheduling has become a fahsionable work nowadays but...

"Have you ever considered asking yourself why do you want to become a planner/scheduler?"

Just an open question... any thoughts from anyone??

Replies

Sayan Basu
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
need a job badly
michael barnwell
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
They’re always looking in Albert in the tar sands anywhere from $60.00 to $95.00/hr plus $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 LOA.
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
hey mike

do you need any consultants in canada

2k not enough
michael barnwell
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
or even better $800 a day as a consultant!!
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
2K per week with - C2HM / Parsons Brinkerhof / whoever, is nice money, well done Brad, any vacancies back in UK?
Brad Lord
who said it was bechtel keep on trying

if i had any feelings i would be very upset at your no offence remarks,

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Even if my maths are crap brad thats 100k per yewar give or take are Bechtel that desperate?
No offence
Brad Lord
become a contractor and get two grand a week working for a stupid american company like me
ha ha ha h a

Clive Randall
Tom
Its the problem when I cant even contemplate 100 pounds per DAY for a b***dy graduate I have to make it feel better by doing the maths wrong
And even on this money they dont want to be planners?

Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
"Its b***dy shocking" ... so’s your arithmetic
Clive Randall
So you guys are paying graduates 25k a year thats 100 pounds per week for them to do what exactly?
Its b***dy shocking
Clive Randall
By the way after a thrilling week rebuilding Asia its now Friday and I have the half day tommorrow to look forward too before my day and a half weekend interfering with Hong Kong retail stores.
Such is the life of an overworked planner
Clive Randall
Ray Orourke on the other hand said
that he didnt feel we looked after our graduates when we paid the 25k per year and kicked their butts
thats why they want to become bankers at 45k

what a poor lot of loves they all are.
When I was younger you were lucky if you got to live in a caravan on the site with all the muckshifters abusing you

of course those who like the occassional enama may find this ok

blah blah blah
Clive Randall
Brad
Must remember not to use the railways when Im next in the UK
However why dont you buy the coke at Tescos?
Brad Lord
dont talk to me about drugs

tried to get some coke last nite stitched up by my junky friend, just goes to show you cant trust anybody these days

Clive Randall
Groupies are a division of the structure contained in the WBS, often they are abbrieviated
Simiarly drugs are a further subdivison such as
xxxx Which contains the project code
then e
or LSD
Etc etc

as for anything to do with your nether regions and such like I have no idea
However I have wondered why certain project managers appear to relish the thought of sharing their colonic irrigation at progress meetings,
It must come with the territory
as often I see them loosening their belt when they wish to get a particuarly difficult point across especially when the basis for the discussion is something they know nothing about

That is I guess why they do not wish to be planners who as we all know are extremely well versed in graphically demonstrating their lack of knowledge.

Interesting to note that when questioned as to what makes a good engineer the new project Director for Balfour Beatty Carrillion on the cross rail link said its not management plans or all that bullshit its experience and gut knowledge hear hear

Well not so gut of course if that went the way of the enama
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
I think the "drugs" element is the EV data. CPI and SPI less than 1.00 = Barbiturates (downer) - greater than 1.00 = Acid (hallucinogen). Dunno what values induce paranoid schizophrenia!!!!!
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
I find nothing helps me get through the day like a good old fashioned heroin enema.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
James,

You’re most likely right, but what are the drugs likely to be? Tranquilisers? Super-strength tablets for severe headaches and migraine? Anti-nausea pills?
James Griffiths
...and here’s me labouring under the evident, misapprehension that "groupies" were things that one did with the activities in P3.
Clive Randall
right on Tom
I unfortunately was sold that line on the "milk round" but am still waiting for the groupies
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
for the drugs and the groupies
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
In my case, it’s a combination of destiny, practicality and hunger for knowledge.

Destiny because just like Anoon, I have been working as a site engineer when my company decided to assign me in the Project Control Department. I didn’t complain, why should I.

Practicality, our company was one of the few companies in my country who purchased the first network version of Primavera 1.1. At that time, I’ve been hearing that knowing Primavera is a sure money in the construction industry. Is it?

Hunger for knowledge, what other staff position that you know of that will compel you to learn as much information than planning(IMHO). In planning you will think the way construction people think. You will think the way your contracts manager think and same with your project manager. At the end of the day, you will learn a lot of things from different people on different perspectives without going to a Masteral course in construction/project management.

If you reach this point, then it’s up to you if you wanna go further up to the next level.

Cheers,

Se
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
It only happened by chance. I started drafting bar charts manually for a Planner and I thought i know planning already.

When I applied for another job in an agency, the only vacant slot is for the Planner / Scheduler. Luck brings me in because it happens that the interviewer is not really a Planner. I draw a beautiful bar chart in front of him (which I never understand at that time) and thats it!

But until now I never felt like I was one.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
I wanted to become a planner because I tried it, I was good at it, and I liked it. Plus it pays well and offers opportunities to work in a number of industries & locations.

I liked it because I’m the kind of person that likes to understand a project in detail. I like to fully understand what the project is doing, why it’s doing it, and how well it’s going. Intellectual curiosity, I call it. I’m also the kind of person that keeps boredom at bay on long drives by calculating my average speed, ETA, target speed to achieve target ETA, etc. I always know the runrate required in cricket.

Planning gives me all of that. PMing would give me most of that, but also a lot of stuff I have no interest in like health & safety regs or contract negotiations.
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
If we’re just aiming for the higher ground why choose this path? there are many ways to do it... its like saying why settle for a sedan when you can have a 4x4?
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Why?

1)Because you end up close to the sharp end, with few of the risks .... Many PM’s are let go because of their (and their teams) failings, few planners are.
2) Because you get to use your experience and influence the progress of the project.
3) Because you don’t want to / can’t drive / lead / command others ie you are not a PM in the making.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James,

Sorry to disagree with you but planning is an integral part of managing. The manager who can’t plan, can’t manage it really is that basic.

Louis Allen says that management consists of four functions, Planning, Organising, Leading and Controlling. Henri Fayol says five, Planning, Organising, Coordinating, Commanding and Controlling. But that’s just by-the-by.

You switched Andrew’s original proposition round, so I’m guessing that at some time you’ve come across a manager or managers who couldn’t plan the proverbial booze-up in a brewery. If that’s the case, how good was he or she at the other management functions? Again I’m guessing, but probably not much use at any of them, so that person wasn’t really a manager at all.

If we now take a look at our planner, it’s obvious from the name that they plan, using information which they have to collate and organise, providing a lead to the people who supply them with that information and controlling the issue of plans, schedules, feedback etc..

Suddenly we find that, as far as information is concerned, our planner isn’t just planning, but organising, leading and controlling as well. The planner must in some respects be a manager, just as the manager must in some respects be a planner.

A bit simplistic maybe, but basically correct I think.

Chris Oggham
Clive Randall
Charlie
You are already a planner?
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello to All PP

I want to become a planner because it is the natural things to do:

I plan the life I wanted to be (carreer planners)

I plan my study time during colleages (study plan)

I plan how to excel in all types of test (testing plan)

I plan how to conquer the girsl and get the girl sweet yes 1-4-3 (means I LOVE YOU) - (girl relationship plan)

I plan my wedding (wedding planner)

I plan my family including the number of kids, when to make ?!^%(family planning)

I plan my expenditures, cash-in/cash out, cash flow (financial planning)

I plan my vacation (vacation planning)

I plan how to survive in this harsh environment (environmental planning)

I will populate this thread, it is good to know planning exist as long as homo sapiens - human live.

Cheers,

Charlie
James Griffiths
Isn’t it the opposite?

Those who can...plan

Those who can’t...manage (or try to and, as a result, stuff-up the plan in the process - so those who think they can plan can always blame the PM when the plan goes to moo-poo)
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
How about??

Those who can --------MANAGE
Those who cant--------PLAN

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Christian,

It is the best work to do.

It helps sharpen logic.

And planning exposure will greatly assist in the advancement of carreers in project management.

IMHO,

Charlie