Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

When copying WBS element the Activities are not copying?

5 replies [Last post]
David Ball
User offline. Last seen 11 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Forum,

I have opened up two projects together in P6 and have been copying WBS elements in the WBS window from one project and pasting them into the other. This pasted WBS levels and activities into the second project.

All the sudden when I copy a WBS element the activities are no longer being copied and I don't know why? I just get the WBS levels in the second project but not the activities.

Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks very much

DFB

Replies

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Hi David,

In my testing the only situation in wich the activities are greyed out is when the wbs element has no activities attached.

Maybe in the activity view / WBS grouping the 'hide if empty' option has played a trick with you?

Sorry I can not give  a better answer.

Regards,

Arend

David Ball

Thank you very much Shahul. I will keep that in mind for future reference.

DFB

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi

David Ball

It happens if two project have same Activity ID's,try by renaming Activity ID's in Project 1 and copy it to project 2

Cheers

Shahul

David Ball

Thanks Kaif,

I don't get the choice to select "Activities" in the "Copy WBS Options" dialogue box as it is greyed out. 

DFB

Kaif Mohsin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Dear David,

While copying the WBS from one project to the other it has to be ensured that the "Activities" option is ticked mark in the "Copy WBS Options" Dialogue Box in order to copy the underlying activities also.

Hope this will sort out your problem.