Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Float and Critical Activities

8 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The schedule I have activities have TF=o however they are not in critcal in the schedule report they are not exists.
I use define critical activities as Total Float Less than or equal to 0.

Regards,

Moutaz

Replies

jeoffrey reyes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Moutaz,

I saw already your schedule. It seems that you have too much float which is not advisable. But to answer your query why you have a Float of 2days in your START WORKING activity?, you have to adjust your lag to its Successor;

A5310 Hand Over FS 105

then your float will be Zero. Also, put FF relationship if you are linking to Milestones not FS. As what I have mentioned in my previous post, you have to link a more logical relationship to achieve a good critical path. Try to avoid to much Float its no longer realistic....200days and more...you know what i mean.

cheers,

JEFF
moutaz aldeib
Rodel, the longest activity does not create the critical path and I reduced the duration of that activity but nothing happened.

Rodel, Can I send you through your personal e-mail if you do not mind?

Regards,

Moutaz
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 7 min ago. Offline
Moustaz,
It means that your longest activity create the critical path. If you reduce duration of that activity for exercise analysis you will see the effect why?
moutaz aldeib
Thanks all for your response,

Rodel, the critical bar is defined and I filtered the critical actviities, I got only three activities which exist in the report and located in the longest path.

Regards,

Moutaz
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 7 min ago. Offline
Moutaz,
Try to filter critical activities and see if all activities with 0 float will show. I suspect that critical bar is not define or tick that is why it is not showing red bars.
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Of course, for critical activities, what you should be quantifying is not their total float, but their drag. Just sayin’...

(The fact that Primavera doesn’t compute drag means you’d have to compute it by hand, which makes it a bit trickier and more time-consuming -- but no less important. Of course, you could just switch to Spider Project or MS Project to have the software compute drag...)

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline
Hi Moutaz

Check the value assigned [I.e TF=0] for total float to mark the activities as critical. I am not sure about p6 but in p3 one can assign total float value ,check that ,it might help you
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Moutaz

Set the float display to 2 decimal places.

Best regards

Mike Testro