Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

activities having more negative total float, than summary total float

4 replies [Last post]
Romil Villanueva
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

I am having difficulty in understanding, because i received a schedule in P6 and just detailed more, i added some activities.

but when I scheduled it and take a closer look on the floats, one activity ( precomm,and commissioning) are having -86, but

on the lvl-0, or project summary it shows -73, i am new to P6 so I am having difficulty so I am asking some assistance to you guys who are more adept than me... a lil help please..thank  you so much

Replies

Romil Villanueva
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

thanks guys, i understand it more now, i just felt it was strange to have discrepancies on my total floats. the above comments were very helpful..cheers...

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 38 min ago. Offline

From the following figure you will find that no matter what definition of float you use, start float or finish float it is possible even when using the same calendar that some activities can have lower Start/Finish Float than the summary bar while others show more.

Summary bar aaa has a start float of 10 while activity a1 start float of 15 and activity a3 have 0 start float.

Summary bar aaa has a finish float of 5 while activity a1 finish float of 15 and activity a3 have 0 finish float.

Photobucket

Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Romil At summary level P6 uses Global Calendar,...This results in different float values.. Regards Shareef
Stefano Bignozzi
User offline. Last seen 12 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Normally different float values (not necessarily negative), in a sequence of activities, depends on different calendars inside the schedule. 

This always happens and is not a problem.