Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Float Project Vs Total float activities

4 replies [Last post]
Adalberto Cardenas
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I have a question, In my program the total float for total project is -587 days, but in my activities the maximum that I have is -125, I recently change from P6 V. 8.2 to 8.4.

Regards

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 6 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

make sure that you filter for all activities 

and as Rafael mentioned see if you have any external links from other projects tied to your activities. If you do there should be an asterisk in the right hand side of the finish date column

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Adalberto in addition to the advise of Raphael you could try the following. In the the default filters, select the "Has start constrained and Has finish constrained". Here you can see the activities with the constraint that may cause the negative float  issue. Common is that the project has an "must finish by " constraint in the project details window. Go to Entreprise>select project> click ones and than you see at the bottom various tabs. Go to "dates" and here you can see the possible constrained. Johannes
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 49 min ago. Offline

-587<-125<0<1

Total Project float -587 is less than the minimum activity float -125 is what I believe you mean, that other activity float values are greater, something like -100, -50, 0 or 10. 

1. Maybe you have a global constraint date on the Project finish defined under project properties or however P6 handles it [I do not use P6 but hope this can give you some clues].
  2. Also it is possible there is a date constraint on the last activity that is different to the global constraint.
  3. Another possibility is that you have external links that impose a constraint on the schedule activities.
  4. Another cause of large negative floats can be Out of Sequence progress, you can try setting progress override to see if this is the case.

Good luck

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 49 min ago. Offline