Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Need help on EPS and WBS

6 replies [Last post]
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

Urgent need help...

Previously, I was using P6 for tender programme. The programme/schedule was done to satisfy only the tender requirements.

Now, am using P6 to prepare programme/schedule for construction phase. The 1st difficulty I encountered is structuring of the programme to suit cost and budget monitoring.

Please correct me:

We have nearly a hundred cost and/or budget codes. To track the performance of each cost code, I need to filter each code therefore there should be only one cost code per activity. The WBS must be patterned to the structure of the cost coding.

I can easily manipulate this exercise in P3 but in P6 I don’t have the confidence yet without taking the risk of double handling the task.

Your suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Nestor

Replies

Nestor Principe
Hi Samer,

Enterprise Project Structure.

Hi Dieter,

Actually, every report period I need to produce s-curve for every cost code or group of codes comparing the plan, earned value and actual expenditures. In P3 I can assigned several cost code per activity and then use tabular report to get earned value for the each cost code and/or group of codes. The s-curves are plotted using excel.

Say, there’s 1 cost code each for formwork, rebar and concrete. In P3, I can have the 3 cost codes assigned to a single activity (e.g. construct base slab).

Now in P6, it seems to me that I need to have 1 cost code per activity which will make the programme bigger. What I see is the EPS and WBS in P6 would have a lot to do to make the exercise simplier.

Am doing trials and samples to fully understand how the P6 works. By then I can ask question with more clarity.

My difficulty is more on organizing to ensure things work during construction stage rather than utilization of P6.

Thanks + regards + cheers..
Nestor

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Nestor,

What is EPS? Thank you.

Samer
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Nestor

Sorry, I didn’t understand your question. But If you’ll explain how you do it in P3, maybe it will be easy to "translate" it into P6.

Regards
Dieter
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Nestor,

You can do same basic principles in P3 in tracking your costs in P6.

If it’s a bigger project, you can utilize EPS to breakdown your project structure to smaller projects or subprojects to track your costs, but you will have separate projects to update.

Use group and sort by WBS if you want to categorize your costs by hierarchy of work in the project.

Cost accounts are also hierarchical in nature. You can create and assign more than one resource and cost account to an activity.

P6 HELP - Expenses are nonresource costs associated with a project and assigned to a project’s activities. They are typically one-time expenditures for nonreusable items. Examples of expenses include materials, facilities, travel, overhead, and training.

Best regards,
R. Catalan

Nestor Principe
Thanks Dieter,

I will follow up after conclusion of my trial exercise.

Cheers+regards,
Nestor
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Dear Nestor

Basically you can do the same in P6.

Costs in P3 --> Expenses in P6
Cost account in P3 --> Cost account in P6 (Enterprise --> cost accounts; are hierarchical in P6 + description)
Cost category in P3 --> Expense category in P6 (Admin --> Admin Cat’s --> Expense Cat’s)

To each expense you can assign an account and a category. Report group: "Project Expenses", mark "Time distributed data" --> group by expense category or cost account or both --> export to EXCEL

Curves are not possible for expenses. (Then you’ll have to use cost resources as in P3)

Regards
Dieter