Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS / Activity Codes Utility

9 replies [Last post]
mh shaw
User offline. Last seen 15 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
I just joined a new team and here some senior planners are using Activity Codes (Only) and some other senior planners are using WBS (Only) in the same environment of working, same resources, same time frame etc. Is any thread available in planning planet which clearly explain the difference in using these 2 modes utility, merits/demerits, +ves/-ves, ins/outs ? Thanks for the help of the forum in anticipation.

Replies

mh shaw
Thanks all for your help especially Dieter.
It helped me to understand my problem.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
mh,

I suggest you delete all the data in your existing dictionary (codes, WBS or whatever) and start from scratch. I believe it will only give you a headache reading those codes I presumed you don’t understand as well.

Dieter and Alex are right, WBS is easy in P6 (you can write whatever you want), the same thru with activity codes.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi All

I believe the biggest different between code and WBS is flexibility

Once a WBS structure is setup, you cannot organise your project in anyother format (Grouping) unless to use code.

As a result, you schedule is very rigid. However, comes to reporting and changing layout and analysis, it becomes a nightmare.

HTH

Regards

Alex
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi
I don’t know of a way to copy codes into a wbs, sorry. How much in detail the wbs must be, for project management or internal regulations? For reporting purpose it’s better with a big code dictionary.
Regards
Dieter
mh shaw
Thanks for your help Dieter.
Further I have very limited WBS dictionary, but comparatively the activity code dictionary is large. Can I use activity code dictionary to develop the WBS dictionary in this new environment for me or how can I develop the WBS dictionary?
Dieter Wambach
Hi
As project data has to be represented in accounting, financial controlling, strategic planning ... and has to use data from the erp software (Enterprise Resource Planning) especially master data you have to consider a common key that both systems can understand each other. For projects in general data will be accumulated, because financial controlling has an interest for the status of e.g. engineering in total not for a certain document. To make live easier only cumulated data is transferred - by wbs.
Reporting requirements: All stakeholders have a need for information, but grouped in a different way, only specific parts of the project, ... After you gathered these requirements you’ll assign codes to activities to fulfil all those requirements.
If you’ll need more specific information, just ask for them.
Regards
Dieter
mh shaw
Thanks for your response Dieter. Is it possible you please explain a little more about "Interfacing with erp-software" with WBS?
What all other reporting requirements we may achieve by codes?
Dieter Wambach
Hi
WBS:
- According to standards
- Interfaces with erp-software and other scheduling in general by wbs
- Not each report group is able to group or to filter by wbs
- Access rights by wbs
- Budget by wbs
- Earned Value parameters by wbs
- Combination of parts of different projects to one project easier

Codes:
- Accessible from (almost) each report group
- Security code

We use both: wbs is standard, related to needs of financial controlling; all other reporting requirements by codes.

Regards
Dieter
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Well for me, if using P6, i just go with WBS, if it is P3, I prefer activity codes. I believe both serves the purpose, it only depends upon the user.