Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Difference between WBS and Activity Codes

6 replies [Last post]
kumar s
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

What are the advantages of having more WBS Levels in the project.

with my previous project i was able to summarize the data wrt many categories by using the activity codes Like area/dept/phase.i had used only one level of WBS in the whole project

now for my present project i was thinking of using many WBS Level data.

will this have any benefits than using it as activity codes.

Thanks in Advance...

Replies

Muhammad Anjum
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Right process is to first update the schedule and then run schedule (F9) to a specific data date. After running schedule you may need to further update activity dates to keep to meet the requirement of baseline schedule.

Muhammad Anjum

Muhammad Anjum
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

We can use both WBS and Activity Codes at a time in a schedule. Generally, a difference is that WBS structure remains intact and we can not shuffle different levels in WBS structure to organize project, whereas, Coding Structure has more flexibility to shuffle levels up and down during organizing project.

Muhammad Anjum 

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Kumar

I use the activity codes and the WBS structure in one schedule. I start off with the WBS structure and this allows me to follow our engineers en costing persons as and when the total scope of work is decomposed in work packages and work package activities.

When this is fully completed i make the relevant activity codes for further filtering and organizing. These can amongst others, selection for filtering for E-mailing, earned value summarization, responsible persons, etc.

For novice and junior planners a include 2 links to my website for further explanation and example of the difference between the two.

http://plannenvoornietplanners.net/planning-lezen/kolommen/rijen-abc-en-...

http://plannenvoornietplanners.net/planning-lezen/kolommen/rijen-abc-en-...

Regards Johannes

hosam ebrahim
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 days ago. Offline

i want to confirm what ahmed said specially for copying activities. to copy some activities from 1 project to  another project in P6, you have to open both together and select WBS screen and start to copy the WBS level which u want. this copy including all codes and resources. no other method to make this copy without WBS (according to my knowledge)

Krishna Sivachand...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hai every one,

I was working as a planning engineer.

I am having a query regarding the updation of a project.

I want what is right process of the updation .....

1) To reschedule the project at specific data date and update the progress.

2) to update the progress and then reschedule  the project at a specific data date.

Thanks in advance.

Amro Ahmed
User offline. Last seen 2 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Of Course have benefits:

1- More accurate and Manageable  to decompose Project but activity codes should utilized to Classify Activities by location or Responsibility ... e.t.c then they are different in functionality.

2-In Sorting And Group it,s easier while in activity codes should sort by inserting  all main levels like Building, Floor and Trends

3- It.s easier and more effective  to generate W.B.S  in levels by arrows and also easier to copay level of W.B.S including all activities , all resources and steps E.T.C.

w.b.s is more matching with p6 while p3 is suitable with p3 technique