Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress on baseline

6 replies [Last post]
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 15 weeks ago. Offline
HELP Please!!!

I want to produce a layout that shows % complete bar on a baseline bar.

So far have been able to display baseline and % complete but % complete bar starts at actual start date not basedline start date.

It is a requirement of contract that this type of report is produced (Traditional dropline!)Only other way I can think of is to copy original programme enter actual start dates as planned start dates and not to reshedule plan.

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 5 min ago. Offline
Andrew,

If you read my post and understand it, that should solve your problem.
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Format bars: Under "Display progress and criticality on target project based on" you need to choose "Current Project". Then you can get percentage of the current project displayed as bar in target bar.

Well this is what was there in P3. I have also seen a similar feature in P3ec and in fact used it. But at the moment, I do not have P3ec to check it.
Andrew Pearce
What I want to display is a bar for %complete that starts on the baseline start date.
At present I can only display a bar for % complete which starts on the actual start date.
Rodel Marasigan
Andrew,

I’m not sure if your query is referring to a layout describe below.
a)     Current live project against baseline with both bars shows the actual start date and finish date on the same bar.
b)     Baseline only with actual start date and finish date.

If your query is referring to item “a” there is no default layout that can complied with your requirement. The reason for this is because the baseline bars are shown base on baseline start and baseline finish date and any bars sitting before or along the data date are indications of your schedule % complete. This clearly shows the comparison between the actual start and actual finish date between the baseline and current live project.

I cannot understand or not getting the point of why you need the actuals which is just reflecting same all baseline bars that resting before or along the data date.

If you really required this kind of layout the only way to do these is to use two users define field defining baseline start and baseline finish date. Store your Baseline Start date to defined baseline start date using global change with parameter of Schedule % complete is greater than 0% complete. Use also global change to store your defines baseline finish using formula i.e.: Baseline Start + (Schedule % complete x Original duration) with parameter of Schedule % complete is greater than 0%. Then use this define baseline start and baseline finish on your bar setting on the same line of your Primary baseline bar using different color. This should show the Schedule % complete bar on your baseline bar.

If your query is referring to item “b” then all you need to do is to detached or restored your baseline from the current live project and update the actual using Progress spotlight under View-> Progress Spotlight. Then drag the spotlight up to the data date. Then select Tools-> Update Progress on project menu. Enter the data date and select “all highlighted activities” then click apply. You will now have a baseline showing actual start and progress bars.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,
Rodel
Andrew Pearce
Thanks Rodel, I follow what you suggest but that does not give me what I am looking for. I am trying to nshow how far behind an activity is in % terms agianst original plan.
What I want to do is display the PRimary baseline bar (Planned start to planned finish)
Then on same line I want to show % bar in different colour.

I have set this up but the % bar starts at actual start date not planned start date.
Rodel Marasigan
Hi Andrew,

Assumming that you have primary baseline assigned.
1) Select View-> Bar then select Primary baseline.
2) Click Bar Labels Tab and click Add
3) Select position of your baseline % complete (ie> Right, Left etc...)
4) On Label column pick Schedule % Complete and click Apply then Ok.
That should give you % complete on your baseline bar.
Note: Schedule % complete is always base on your baseline.

Rodel