Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline Schedule / Re-Baseline

8 replies [Last post]
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
How to change date’s of the baseline (BL Project Start and BL Project Finish)for activity\s started but not 100% complete.

Replies

Zq qz
Thanks Mark. This solve the Problem. Of BCWS ....

Regards
Mark M
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Marie

I am guessing that under your admin preferences, Earned Value tab, the Earned Value Calculation drop down box is set to Budgeted Values with Planned Dates. If you have admin rights or can convince admin to change this, I suggest you set it to "Budgeted Values with Current Dates".

P6 uses this to determine which dates to show for the baseline (although they don’t document this anywhere...) Therefore if set to Planned Dates that is what you are seeing for statused activities, & not the Actual.

Hope that helps & solves your issue.

Regards
Mark
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 39 min ago. Offline
I don’t have P6, maybe the following reference can give you some light.

http://ronwinterconsulting.com/Understanding_P6_Dates.pdf

“The P6 Early Start, Early Finish, Late Start, and Late Finish (Early/Late Start/Finish) columns are presented differently from their counterparts in Microsoft Project™ or P3. After the CPM calculations are complete, Microsoft Project blanks out all calculated date entries for completed activities. P3 actually deletes the calculated dates for completed activities and replaces those computed dates with the established actual dates. This substitution has led scheduling experts to conclude that the actual dates were not used in computing the current CPM schedule dates. Beginning with their Version 5.0 software release, P6 took a third tact and dares to show calculated dates, even for completed activities.”

Also check on the setup of your baseline bars, this you can modify to your needs. You can decide if using ES/EF dates or Start/Finish dates. Also to show or not to show float bar. I used to display my float bars from ES to LF instead of from EF to LF, is up to you.

Best regards,
Rafael
Zq qz
The problem is this. I have a current schedules with actuals on it. Then I want to use this as a baseline itself. Question is why BL Finish dates are not the same with the start date for activities with actual start dates. ( since this is just the mirror image of the current schedule... I just maintain baseline and assign it).
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Marie,

Most probably your original baseline is still attached.
Unassigned it and make the current update as your baseline.

Or copy the current update and assign it as your baseline.

Best regards,
R. Catalan
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
I think you need to change your primary baseline and project baseline to current project

project>assign baseline etc (sorry if sucking eggs)

regards

brad

Zq qz
Yes tottally agree with you. But i’m trying to use my current schedule as a baseline itself. but BCWS and schedule % complete still refering to the old baseline ...Why???.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 39 min ago. Offline
Marie,

A Contractual Baseline is a reference schedule for comparison purposes, is meant to be frozen in time, not to be updated.

The initial Baseline represents your initial plan prior to any updating. It will not be updated but replaced when it longer does not serve its purpose for comparison, maybe after several periodic schedule updates. You re-baseline when needed using the latest updated schedule, here you show revised scope of work, new activities and recovery plan if needed. Upon approval it becomes the new Baseline; this schedule will show actual dates prior to re-baseline schedule DD. Do no leave out Owner delays as this might waive your right for future claims.

When looking for actual dates you look at the current schedule.

When updating your schedule you leave your Baseline intact, even when you re-baseline you leave it intact and keep it as is for future reference, you re-baseline updating your updated job to an agreed DD update.

You still can do minor adjustments to your old Baselines by detaching them. If you change actual dates then in order to make sense the schedule should be recomputed. Do this with caution and always keep a backup of all Contractual Baseline versions.

http://www.warnercon.com/articles/Article%2012%20-%20Recovery%20Schedule...

Best Regards,
Rafael