Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Re-baselining W.I.P. Activities

2 replies [Last post]
Rob Green
User offline. Last seen 6 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I’m interested to hear from the planning community what techniques are used when it becomes necessary to re-baseline in-progress activities within the schedule.
Re-baselining may be the result of re-rating labour costs, scope variation or an agreed major re-plan.
I found it was not uncommon on Defence Projects to re-baseline if only to re-rate. I always I tried to keep the costing figures in the scheduling software as close as possible to the data in the tool used for EVM performance measurement - for validation purposes.

Thanks,
Rob.

Replies

Joanne Foster
User offline. Last seen 16 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Rob

If the only reason for rebaselining in-progress is due to rate changes, then I do it...it takes a bit to check that the software has actually calculated things correctly though. I like to take a copy of the baseline and muck around with that one first, to make sure things will go smoothly.

Any other time, rebaselining in-progress is a bit of a no-no in my book, particularly in defence environment. So standard thing is to set BCWS = BCWP and replan the remainder...or set BCWS = BCWP = ACWP for a formal reprogramme.

Regards
Joanne
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rob,
as far i know If re-baseline the progress its does not impact the cost, its only have to shift remaining progress followed by the cost /resource, Unless there is additional activities to be add or labour rate changes (but not very frequent happened) cause there is contract to be followed.