Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

p3e evaluation

41 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 36 min ago. Offline
How would you rate P3e in a scale from 0 to 10.
-My rating is 0 ( 0 means it is not a good value )
-Am I wrong? For 20 years I have not seen a product so full of -bugs.
-Simple things as manpower distribution per trade are difficult if not impossible.
-Conversion is a disaster.
-Formatting Reports almost impossible.
-Have you noticed on this site that the reading rate for P3 (an old product) is 5 timas that of P3e (not a new product, an "upgrade" avilable a few years ago)

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Forum Guest - Very good point, I am totally agreed with all your views. Treat the migration as a project, clearly define the scope "Specifications" , and "plan" ahead - when to roll out, the evulation period, strategy to roll out, resource needed, what is the success factors, testing plan, the people elements (changes and resistant), milestone, control point & a budget estimates. BTW you can plan all these in P3e or of course P3.
Forum Guest
I would like to share some of my experiences with you chaps, having a back ground in planning for engineering, IT, systems integration (Oracle, SAP) & business change projects mainly with P3, have worked as an Oracle developer/DBA and also having worked on several P3e Implementation projects. Note i use the term implementation projects, there are some keys issues that companies should consider when "MIGRATING" to P3e.

P3e is not a piece of software with which you simply place a CD into your cd rom drive and bingo you have an instant business solution, like any other enterprise wide applications (SAP, Oracle Financials etc) there is considerable design required by business analysts to determine " what the business wants out of this product ".

This is essential if anyone is serious about using P3e for what it is designed for. My very first suggestion is for the intended users to draft an agreed user requirements spec. that will include well defined activity coding structures at enterprise level, enterprise WBS, enterprise resouce definitions, working calenders etc that are common across the company, you will then know what the targets are that you are aiming at. Hence the design/business analysis,

NB: Most of this information is available within other information systems i.e. Human Resources - Standard Resource definition etc.

Some experiences i have found (especially in the early days) was that there was a tendancy for planners to simply install the disk, run the software attempt to perform the functions of a Database Administrator,

(I have also seen DBAs trying to be planners which was even funnier) and then make up the requirements as they went along, find some functionality that was available in P3 that is no longer avialable, and then declare that P3e was useless.

As a first step i would suggest to anyone looking at P3e, is to run it as a prototype, determine what it is that P3 can not do that you would require from P3e, install P3e as a standalone/minmumal user environment group, have these users determine if P3e can satisfy the requirements that can not be met by P3, at the same time evaluating P3e for further functionality and feeding all of this information back to the design/business analysis.

If a decision is taken for a full implementation then there are things that Primavera do not tell you when selling the software, i.e. total cost of ownership, you have the some planners, will you need more, do you need additional DBAs, is you IT network robust/secure, how much will it cost to retrain existing planners etc, it all adds up, a £ 3 k piece of software can cost in excess of £ 75 k per user per year !

Finally if you do run with P3e on an enterprise scale, i used the word "MIGRATING to P3e" earlier on, migrating data once from P3 into P3e ...do not attemt to be passing data back wards and forwards every other period, you will get into a mess. You cutover...now use the new system.

Good Luck !!
Rahmat Hidayat
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Of course, Saya setuju dengan Anda. I think P3e not an improvement of P3 3.1 because there is totally change.
Forum Guest
Terus guna P3 3.1.
P3e/c membazirkan uang sahaja.

Abdullah Haji Hukum
Forum Guest
Terus gunakan P3 3.1.
P3e/c memang tak guna dan membazirkan masa dan uang semua orang.
Rahmat Hidayat
User offline. Last seen 29 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
I’ve been a P3 3.1 user for long enough time and i am just introduced to P3e 4.0, but i’m very disappointed when exploring P3e that there are some important feature missing, such as:
1. zig zag progress line
2. in p3 3.1 time scale we can combine calendar date & ordinal date but not in P3e.

Could you help me to find alternatives to overcome this problem?

Thks in advance

Martin Corkill
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
I’ve been working with P3 for around 7 years and have recently started using P3e/c. One of the main problem areas I’ve found with P3e/c is importing / exporting from P3. Resource allocations seem to get messed up, durations, activity / progress types etc. Also, I had a complete nightmare updating P3e/c to version 4 - it took around 3 days eventually, thankfully the guys at Primavera support helped loads.

If you’re using P3e/c to create and manage projects, it’s a good tool with some very nice new features, but I really would have expected easier / better backwards compatibility.
Ray Messinger
User offline. Last seen 4 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Like many companies, we are also evaluating P3e (as well as other products). Reading the forum posts here also help. Like reading the user comments on Amazon.com, they are more revealing than the publishers, and I give them more weight. Keep them coming.
Forum Guest
Alex I see you are in the Electrical and Mechanical Trades.

While General Contractors Volume of Work is based on a few contracts, usually Mechanical and Electrical Contractors handle multiple jobs, at the same time and move speciallized crews among jobs.

General Contractor’s do not tie different jobs together by schedule. Do not limit schedules by tying resources or activities from other jobs. It is good management for a General Contractor to keep them apart, as well, as for subcontractors the opossite might also be good management.

You got the point, you have to analyze your needs. P3e is not for everyone, specially when schedules are supplied by others (General Contractor’s) outside your company (Program Manager’s). Compatibility, cost and ease of use are important issues you cannot overlook.
Alex Wong
Dear all

As I stated previously, P3e or P3e/c is very powerfuly if your company size is large as well as you have lots of project managers that require planning, project control and reporting. With the implementation experience I had I can divided into three groups of user during my implemenation of P3 to P3e/P3ec.
Group 1: Never use P3 or any scheduling software.
They are the fast adapter, they learn the software just as they use other software. Because they never explose to any P3 product they only complaint the feastures they require, like reporting... (they accept the system within 2-3 months)
Group 2: Experience P3 users; they find it very difficult to adopt the software and complaints after complaints on functions that either they use before in P3 or they know about.(It took more than 12 months before they realise the benefits outcast the disadvantages and still some of them are still resist the software)
Group 3: Experience P3 user who require to manage a no. of scheduler/planners and their programme. They had initially resist the system, however, once the enterprise functions is being utilised, they just love it. It allow them to better manager their schedulers as well as know exactly the schedule status, and with the web function. It is just not possible to manage these large amount of info in P3 before.

I suggest everyone look at their requirement prior to implement P3e or P3e/c. if only few no of large scale projects that is independent to each other and never require to merge. P3 standalone version
Lots of large scale projects that require to report and manage as a whole - P3e or P3e/c no double - but you have to remember to tell all your schedulers this is a new software do not compare the previous P3 experience. It is a painfull experience but worth it.
Lots of very small projects - if the projects is manage independently - you may consider whether to invest these amount of money is worth it. if the company do not have a existing effective system to manage these projects. P3e can save you time and effort on managing these projects. You have to do a cost / benefit analysis prior to deploy. But bare in mind that the benefits in Project Management is rather intangiable.

Good luck all and keep planning
David Garside
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
All,
After receiving requests from Project Control Personnel throughout our company for some training in P3e ( from grads to seasoned planners ) we have purchased a copy of the P3e manual produced by Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia. as posted below...

I’ve used P3e now for 4 years since version 1.0! and after review I’ve found Pauls manual very imformative, easy to read etc. I’ve picked up a few hints and that’s me using it for 6+ hours a day since Dec ’99 throughout P3e development. I suggest this manual will be helpful to most if not all new / recent users of P3e.

Regards,
Dave Garside
Forum Guest
I would appreciate if you can provide me with a list of specific features you like or you do not like and why, in order to compare side by side features.
Control & ease of use on report layouts.
Control of Time Scale on reports.
Handling of resource histograms by Trades, ie. Carpenters (ea), Electricians (ea) vs time periods.
Control & ease of use on screen size and lay out.
Communication with lower level software.
Identification of driving predecessors.
Methods for transfering (Mail Wizzard)of updating data and validation via internet, via other media.
Resource leveling.
Resource smoothing.
Check-in & check out.
File Comparison methods, Digger in P3 vs. P3e methods.
Ease of software installation by non-technical personnel in their machines, at the jobsite, away from Home Office.
Navigation in Pert View, Cosmic View.
Any other features, or lack of, you consider relevant.
Forum Guest
A lotta guys are telling me: P3e/c is not good, but ooops!! they got no idea how to use it properly!!! They are proving a good amateurishness...
razif r
User offline. Last seen 19 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
I used both P3 and MSP since 98. I left MSP as P3 is true CPM tools. I found that P3 is effective and fast in core scheduling task while P3eC not. While reporting and ease of assecibility of data gives an advantage on P3eC, it would be least advantage if the core of these data i.e. from the scheduling task itself tend to be more like MSP, which is the core ground of utilise P3 instead of MSP back in years ago.

peace
Forum Guest
I have no option as local Government requires the use of Primavera P3e in our Contract as Program Managers and job inspectors, while requiring P3 to our Contractors.

MY CHOISE WOULD BE SURETRACK AT THE PROJECT/JOB LEVEL (NEVER MS PROJECT) as it is good enough for up to 8,000 to 10,000 activities schedules. I would say our average schedule is 400 activities on Jobs $15,000,000.00 US Dollars. Most probably might be good enough for lager jobs as long as a multiuser application is not required, then P3 would be good enough.

At the Program Manager level I still prefer P3. It is a very cost effective solution that allows the contractor for the option of P3 at the Job level. P3e does not communicate as well, an unreliable conversion is required.

Usually the locals don’t get into the esoterics of variable activity resurce usage/demand (construction is usually performed by fixed size Crews over an average production to take in account for the learning curve), no usage of Monte Carlo (Change Orders and Unforseen will go beyond prediction, lack of statistical records, hundreds of records for hundreds of activities), no activity automatic splitting (it is better to have control on how). Time cost trade off is not offered by any Primavera product so it is not used (If available I wonder it it would ever be used)

The tool is required by government to analyze time impact of change orders, delay/disrruption claims and to monitor and record progress.
Forum Guest
Why don’t ya use another software if you got so many troubles with Primavera...
Alex Wong
Dear All,

Firstly, I want to declare my position before I go on. I am not from Primavera or it’s vendors. I came from a background of Large scale infrastrcuture (CIVIL building), Electrical & Mechanical, Building Services, Railway, and Power Distribution Infrastructure projects. As a P3 user for the past 10 years since the first window release, I do believe I am a experienced user of P3. My recent experiences with migrated P3 to P3e/c in the rail infrastructure industry and P3 to P3e in the power distribution industry. IMHO P3e and P3e/c is a far better product on a Entreprise Environment. If you using P3e to replace P3 in a standalone version, you will find the product is rather difficult to import and export, longer time to set up a project, not all functions of P3 is replicated in P3e... no period performance save, and the list just go on... There is some good things when you use it as a standalone version like more baseline (target)projects - no more backup, more user fields, baseline S-curve display budget but not remaining (this is a the problem within P3).
Of course, to use a enterprise system in a standalone environment do make it very difficult to use. Like having a UNIX system in a destop PC in IT terms or building a power plant in a small units complex or building fully A/C station in a remoted area. The full power of the software is not utilised and the requirement is far too complex for single user.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
I published a book recently on P3e & P3e/c. It is aimed at teaching how to schedule and progress a single project both with and without resources.

It is designed to be used as:
1. A training course handout, or
2. A self teach book, or
3. A reference book.

I am in the process of updating the book from Version 3.5 to Version 4.0 but this will take a few months to finish. There appears to be only a few changes in the areas my book cover as most on the enhancements appear in the collaboration functions of the product.

You may download the table of contents and some sample chapters from my web site.

I have spent some spent explaining the differences between P3e & P3e/c and the following three products - MSP, P3 and SureTrak. This should help with people cross grading.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
ww
Forum Guest
Hi there,
I wish to also express my disappointment at P3e, just full of surprises if not confusion, and hey, it looks more like MS Project now.
I hope our Primavera friend can be a bit more open to critism than just being defensive.
Any books on this? (not easy to write without actually using it for a while)
Cheers all, and keep commenting.

Abdullah Haji Hukum

SORRY FOR CREATING ANOTHER TREAD WITH NO TITLE.
Forum Guest
Tim your approach to evaluate before converting is without any doubt very wise, you might get an unpleasant surprise. Your neeeds seems to be similar to ours, a typical Construction Company.

Please after 2 to 3 months of evaluating P3e include your comments in the forum, being specific as to the advantages and disadvantages of either.

KEEP IT SIMPLE
Tim Readman
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
I have been a user of p3 since 1987 and use it for 4 hrs a day, a very good prodcut for standalone projects and I have been a keen advocate for the software. I am in the process of assessing P3ec (I have upgrade one of our licences) prior to changing our whole company from P3 and Suretrack to p3ec. We are a multidiscpline construction company. Primavera to do not have a migratory path for Suretrack licences holders into P3ec which is pohibitive. From a recent Primavera User confernce in Australia it is apparent that Primavison is not the answer, and we need a P3 lite version or otherwise bulk licences at a lower cost. The overall increase purchase cost means the annual maintiance cost will increase substantially. The upgrade path P3 to p3ec is very expensive in IT infrastructure and software, plus training, upgrade of existing projects, with a consequential increase cost of maintenance. This has to be equated with the cost benefit of the upgrade. Eventaully p3 will phase out as a 16 bit application but we are assured that primavaera will support the products so long as it runs on the systems.

Tony, I like your commnets and hope that you return to the discussion one day.

Forum Guest
I guess "IT" means "Information Technology" not "Construction Manager" whose needs are very different from IT or Manufacturing.

It is not database statistics the only issue, I dont get impressed by statistics alone. It is not an issue of thousands of users of siple schedules sharing resources among them. It is an issue of large jobs usually not sharing resources among them.

As a matter of fact for a contruction delay claim a schedule tying together different contracts/jobs would not be accepted.

I percieve satisfaction among IT Professionals, specially those with Primavera interests while at the same time I percieve dissatisfaction among experienced Construction Managers.

Don’t take me wrong, Primavera is the best option, MS Projet Professional is still a "toy". Just please improve P3e once and for all while providing a compatible and afordable stand alone option similar to P3 & Suretrak.

I am surprised at the comments posted to date criticising TeamPlay/P3e.

I have been using the software since it was released, most recently I was part of the team who deployed the application within Motorola. 25,000 users in 68 countries, over 27,000 projects.

The application had a few teething problems when launched, as one would expect with a new release. Over the past 3 years Primavera have done an excellent job of developing the system, it follows the rules of the PMBOK, works excellemtly in an enterprise environment and is probably the best PM software on the market.

The latest enhancements to Primavision are innovative and I beleive that they (Primavera)will continue to provide innovative solutions.

I would recommend that novices/new users look at the Primavera web site where there are excellent presentations, webinars etc that can give new users an insight to its capabilities. befor making adverse comments on a public web site.

Regards

Dave Forrest

President

Primavera UK Usergroup.
Tony,
I understand your feelings but you should expect anything at the open forums. You joined planning professionals community and want to leave it because of the forum guests behaviour. We are here to learn from each other and not just to help. You will miss this learning opportunity and nobody will win from your decision. I ask you to stay though I am not P3 user and actually is involved in the development of the product that competes with Primavera. In such forums we can share our knowledge and make our products better to the everybody’s benefit.
Nobody will win if you will not change your mind.
With the best regards and the personal request to stay with us,
Vladimir Liberzon, PMP
Tony Banks
User offline. Last seen 20 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

In response:- As part of my job on the Product Management team it is my role to get feedback from all areas on our products, including Forums such as these. I was trying to assist / provide help to other users who are discussing our Primavera products, and to provide help where I could when there were issues (for example, problems, issues, where to go for more information). However, due to the unreasonable responses and what I see as attacks from "Forum Guests" I will no longer post on this website after this post.

Thanks to the "guests" for this. I do spend time on other such forums assisting and commenting to user communities, this is the first time I have felt compelled to quit.

Thanks for that. Thanks also to the gentlemen below who felt it was his duty to try to tell me what my job is or what I should be doing with my time. Thanks Pal.

Before I go, if anyone has any constructive criticism on any of our products then feel free to contact me at Primavera in London.

Goodbye, and thanks.
Forum Guest
(from the first forum guest- have not posetd since)

I have no wish to make this personal (unlike the other Forum guest), but can I suggest you could spend your time more usefully putting P3e right instead of posting endless messages here?

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Folks, please heed Paul’s advice. Let’s not ruin the Planning Planet for others. Warning to all Forum Guests

Tony, thanks for posting. Anyone with experience who has something to offer is certainly welcome and appreciated. Forum Guest, your views are welcome and appreciated as well.

There is certainly room for disagreement without being personal or ugly.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Forum Guest
Try telling that to my one-armed planner!

You can write what you like, as can the other forum guests who might also work for Primavera who have posted here.

In my opinion as an upgrade to P3 it just isn’t that good. This is based on over 25+ years of working with planning/corporate tools and specifically 4 months on P3e/c working with projects totalling over 20,000 activities.
Tony Banks
Hi,

In reply to the previous two posts:-

1. I have worked for Primavera since 1996 and have used both P3 and P3e/c in earnest during that time. I know both product sets upside down, and use them regularly, which takes care of the below "constructive" comment

2. Regarding the post below:- Sir, if you would have the good grace to login not just as a forum guest, then this would be useful to me for a variety of reasons:-

a) So I will be able to contact you and take care of your issues as you describe them with P3e/c which are at worst libellous and at best misguided and wrong. Too tackle your comments directly as you seem intent on using this Forum to air you "views":-

All I have to say is that my first impressions of P3e/c is it is very poor.

>>> I am assuming that this is a first impression you really dont have any experience in the tool at all? Its interesting that you have made all these assumptions and decisions on something that you have only had "first impressions" of.

It has removed some basic functions - like multiple selections without having to use the shift key.

>>>> Using a shift key (standard windows function in all applications) is a problem? I am not sure it is....

Not being able to double click to show the bottom layout.

>>>> Yes, terrible omission. Instead, you have to click the "Show Bottom Layout" button on the toolbar. How could we release such software?!.......

Only having capability for to open a single project and then being told you have to close all!!!

>>> You can open one project, or a hundred projects, or a thousand projects, all at the same time. Your statement is incorrect, probably as you only had "first impressions" of the tool as you mention. P3 had NOTHING like this capability.

The print page setup facility is rubbish.

>>> Excellent comment....?!

The migration from its precedessor is appalling. I could go on.

>>> Ok so based on your first impressions, you have to use a shift key to select multiple selections, and instead of double click you have to click an icon on the tool bar to show the bottom layout. Truely appalling!

If you would like us to point you to companies who have migrated from P3 to P3e/c and are having FANTASTIC results from the migration (real ones) let please contact me, I would be happy to oblige.

As I final note, I come onto this forum as I am interested in comments from the PM community and like being a part of it. If people would like me to not post regarding our tools then fine, just let me know. I am just trying to help people who use Primavera Software. I am not a sales person, nor do I have interest in extolling the virtues of our software unecessarily - i am a genuine fan of the software and I want people to get as much out of it as I know they can (and many others have and are).

However it appears that people are not taking too kindly on me giving my comments (and are logging on anonymously - interesting) so if this is the case then I will stop.

Regards
Tony Banks
Primavera Systems Inc.

[With apologies to Tony, I have edited this post to indent quoted text for clarity - Bernard]
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
This forum is the place to express personal opinions about products but it is not the place to make derogatory personal comments and therefore I edited the previous reply.

All members either, as guests, or logged in members should keep all their correspondence at a professional level and not resort to personal criticism on other people and their contributions.
Forum Guest
All I have to say is that my first impressions of P3e/c is it is very poor. It has removed some basic functions - like multiple selections without having to use the shift key. Not being able to double click to show the bottom layout. Only having capability for to open a single project and then being told you have to close all!!! The print page setup facility is rubbish. The migration from its precedessor is appalling. I could go on.

Remainder of message deleted by moderator.
Hi Tony Banks,
I am curious if you worked with the Eagle Ray team too?
Best Regards,
Vladimir Liberzon
Forum Guest
Hi,

Tony Banks (for that is me!) does work for Primavera this is true.....

Which company are you from? I would suggest that you forward the list of issues you are finding for resolution. Primavera prides itself on listening to customers and fixing issues and providing enhancements with each release of its software.

We have many users from many companies requesting enhancements - its not possible to do everything in every release. All I can say is that version 4.0 is the best version of P3e that we have ever released. We have consistently improved P3e with each release of the products and will continue to do so. In addition, I am not aware of the company you are from, so I am unaware of the "bugs" you have reported, but version 3.5.x is an extremely stable tool that has very few bugs in it (no software is bug free!) so feel free to contact me directly if you wish to provide more specific information.

Regards
Tony Banks
Primavera Systems Inc.
Forum Guest
You wouldn’t be the Tony Banks that worked for Primavera would you?

After having used P3e for the last few years we have just tabled our latest list of bugs to Primavera, most of which we are told will be fixed in the next release. Now where have I heard that before?

I’m sure it will be a fantastic tool when it’s finished.
I think that Open Plan can compete with Primavera. This package includes more powerful resource management features.
In the Russian market Spider Project competes with P3e very successfully.
Everything depends on what product features are essential for your project management approach and requirements.
Rafael Davila
I dont see yet a better, cost effective, alternative than the combination fo Suretrak and P3 for stand alone jobs.

It is a good value as reported before by NASA on an evaluation available on the internet.

The issue of sharing resources among jobs is a must for the Utilities, for Construction Contractors it is dangerous to schedule separate jobs with a common pool of resources, tying in this way separate contracts.

You are right, but Primavera can do better.
Rafael Davila
I am looking forward for version 54 release 20 hoping they get it right.

Is there any Construction Project Manager, experienced with P3, his/her comments would be appreciated.

I consider CPM a very usefull tool if used corectly by the person in charge, the problem is that it has been abused.
Forum Guest
They have included the necking (plus many more) great enhancements with version 4.0. The product is far superior to the old Btrieve P3 product in every way! Version 3.5.1 of P3e/c WAS lacking some of the features of version P3, however it more than made up for those missing features in terms of enterprise business value. Some of the capabilities in P3e/c 3.5.x are far superior to anything that P3 would be able to do!

Version 4.0 takes that even further. Please contact your P3e/c distributor for a detailed overview of version 4.0.

Forum Guest
Hi,

Version 4.0 (available now!) has bar necking for both holidays and non-work time / weekends in the bar charts. Also curtains ARE in version 3.5.x! For further assistance in migrating, you should contact your P3e/c distributor - they can assist you in tackling all the migration issues!
Tony Banks
P3e is an extremely reliable and bug free tool (more so that P3 was). It would seem that you must be having some problems specifically in terms of your use of the tool and obtaining the output that you need.
I would suggest you contact the person who supplied the evaluation software and ask them for feedback / assistance.