Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Windows XP Service Pack 2

7 replies [Last post]
Paul Maddocks
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Have just installed the above and now get the following error message
16 BIT WINDOWS SUB SYSTEM

"WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT.THE SYSTEM FILE IS NOT SUITABLE FOR RUNNING MS-DOS AND MS WINDOWS APPLICATIONS"
Have trid all I know to get it to work but no joy so far.

Am awaiting a reply from P3 help desk.

Anyone else come across this problem and solved it?

Any help would instantly make large wedges of cash come your way.

Replies

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
My recommendation is don’t install winXP SP2 at this moment. The SP2 download from window update website been remove by Microsoft quite a while. There is no notice issued why it is removed. (I’m not sure now it is available again or not)
Gilles Auerbach
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
hello ...
I had the same problem with the install of SP2... but i found a solution...

First, you have to insert your original Windows XP CDROM and to open a DOS Window... Then write in the DOS window
"expand D:i386autoexec.nt_ c:windowssystem32autoexec.nt"

Then make a copy of your file name autoexec.nt which has been created in c:WindowsSystem32 in c:.
Now you have to create a .bat file (create first a txt file and then rename it in.bat). The you write in
"copy c:autoexec.nt c:windowssystem32"
The you have each time to run that bat or to run it automatically at the start of windows...

After it works very well :-)
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
I think XP do have a virtual engin to run 16 bit application
What you can do is create a desktop short-cut, select the short cut, right click and select properties and select run in window 98 mode.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Well, Bill Gates did say that he intended all users to migrate to 32-bit programs.
Paul Maddocks
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for your comments. Have solved the problem. Because P3 is a 16 bit programme windows runs it in a virtual machine that is implemented via Autoexec.nt.
I discovered that either Win XP SP 2 or another programme had corrupted the Autoexec.nt file. Once I reinstalled the Autoexec.nt file P3 worked fine.

What concerns me is that if Win XP SP 2 has caused the problem, it may affect other 16 bit programmes.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
P3 Windows Version 1.0 and P3 DOS (any version) will not run on XP no matter what you try. You can get P3 Windows Version 2 to run under XP but you won’t be able to print. It requires P3 Version 3.1 with Service Pack 2 to run P3 normally using your new operating system. Sorry for the bad news.