Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera - Relationship between activity

6 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 6 days 20 hours ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is in good health. 

A doubt. I have received comments on a schedule,

• The use of Finish-start relationship is prefered (FS). Avoid as much possibe use of Finish-Finish (FF) plus lags and start -start (SS) plus lags relationship between activities.
  • FF relationship do not provide visiblity and clarity regarding schedule logics and drivers fr key activity.

Is the above statement right ?

Moreover in my schedule I have no open end activity, each activity will either have FF or FS or SS relationship with a lag. So would ac activity be considred "Opend End" if it the predecedosr/sucessor rlationship is having only FF or SS ?

Is only FS relation is considred as Closed end ?

Stay safe.

Thanks 

Jithin

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 34 min ago. Offline

Open-Ends00

Open-Ends01

hoover images and click

I suggest creating filters for dangling activities.

dangling-activities-filters

Best Regards, Rafael

Rafael Davila
Rafael Davila

The risks of splitting activities that shall be executed continuously can be far more dangerous than pretending concurrent logic does not exists. This is specially true if your model is to apply resource constraints, it might spread apart the segments of an activity that shall be continuous. In such case use of SS(+lag) in combination to FF(+lag) relationships will make a better model.

Best Regards, Rafael

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 12 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

technically a activity withonly a SS relationship would be open ended because you are only tying the start of it to something not the finsh of it.

so the solution would be make it a compound relationship and have both a SS and a FF to the same successor. 

if you give me your email I can send you a pdf on why to use the compund relationsh and what can happen if you only use a SS relationship