Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to manage the bunch of activity (list of activities no relationship to each other) in P6

9 replies [Last post]
Viet Tran
User offline. Last seen 2 days 23 hours ago. Offline

Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise me how to manage and progress some job with no relationship to each other, for example: We have 100 junction box need to check during Turnaround, and each JB need only 1 hour to check. Please advise me? THanks

Replies

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi VietHere you find the leveling technique as reqested Regards Johannes Regards J
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 43 min ago. Offline

photo jb_zpscjjlozvg.png

Assigning specific dates is not a Critical Path Model but a Static Gantt Chart.  A better model would allow for dates to follow actual progress, a basic CPM model should do it.

Anyway if you insist on assigning specific Junction Boxes to specific resource it can be done, preferably not by fixing dates as if a Gantt chart.  If you want to assign specific units to specific resources just make the assignment for volume of work fixed for teams.  I do not believe in this case the use of fixed for teams is a good choice; make it a more flexible schedule. Updating inflexible plans is not easy; you can become the schedule slave instead of being the Master.

The figure shows how you can model on assigning specific Junction Boxes to specific resource without going to the extreme granularity of having a separate activity for each junction box. Each resource was assigned a volume of work of 10 boxes, a single activity, and each resource working independently as a separate team.

These are essential concepts of planning; this is how many managers make their plans, your software shall give you the tools to create models that mimic their planning.

Viet Tran
User offline. Last seen 2 days 23 hours ago. Offline
Dear all, Thanks so much your ideas,I appreciate that all.So, for my situation,I guest to schedule by 2 ways,one can I link all activities together,or I can make all activities schedule at one time(like advise by Mr.Johan ), with start milestone and finish milestone is predecessor and successor.i f I link all activities,it will create critical path,And can I assign resource and exact date for the resource to perform the work on assign date (like Mr.Ahmed,Mr Davila)? And can Mr. Johannes instruct more detail about the way to level resource and schedule with bunch activities with no relation together? Once again,Thanks all,
Rafael Davila

I do not see the need for using spatial resources; it is a very simple scenario.

As soon as these resources are released by any activity [instead of a whole group of activities] within any work area they become available, they are traditional renewable resources. Just assign to each team as a multi-resource the trade resource and a separate resource to keep count of the total.

Spatial resources are not uncommon; in construction industry spatial resources can be elevated slab forms or freezing machines as in the Westerschelde Tunnel, in an offshore oil rig sleeping beds are sapatial resources.

http://www.pmknowledgecenter.com/node/104

Spatial resources are required by a group of activities, rather than a single activity as renewable resources.  The spatial resource is occupied from the first moment an activity from the group starts until the finish of all activities from that group. Examples are dry docks in a ship yard or a freezing machine in the Westerscheldetunnel (see www.westerscheldetunnel.nl).

Just change the available number of spatial resources and the software will do the spatial resource leveling at a single ckick of the mouse.

Modeling of Spatial Resources is using Consumable resources is easy.  Plase take a look at the following presentation Slide 37, no rocket science.

Enhanced Resource Planning from Rafael Davila  
Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi

My schedule model would be based on dynamic scheduling using the tramway technique.

This what I suggest.

If it is TA scheduling model, then you have the 100 JB’s divided in the systems they belong to.

Use spatial areas for zones or area’s and define these in the systems

Link all JB’s to a milestone successor and predecessor within the systems and or the spatial resources

Make the activities resource dependent

Allocate the required resources to each activity

Set the resources availability in the resource dictionary.

Now all JB” can start at the same time because there is no logic other than the start and finish milestone.

Next step is to prioritize the JB’s within the Systems and spatial resources.

Schedule and level the resources for the JB’s activity.

Regards

Johannes

Rafael Davila

All scheduling software I know can schedule down to the hour and many to the minute.  That being said it makes no sense to limit activity duration to the hour or to the minute. You shall be able to get enough granularities if you make good use of your software.  

It makes no sense to create hundreds of activities and hundreds of logic links that might need to be changed is you need to change resource quantity.  That would make thousands of possible combinations. If in a hurry, as most turnaround projects are, that would be insane.

Usually there is a space limitation as to how many workers can be assigned to the same activity at any given time, therefore you plan work on the same activity using shifts.  Learn to plan different shifts on same activity; splitting the activity will not calculate correctly the activity duration unless you manually make the correct adjustments on every update.

A good model shall be able to automatically make the adjustments.  

• You just change the resource quantity ant the model will take care of it.
  • You just change the production rates and the model shall take care of it.
  • You just change the shift hours and the model shall take care of it.
  • You just change the volume of work and the model shall take care of it.

Cannot be any easier.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

first if its a turnaround you should be scheduling down to the hour. You say that there is no logic I think that there is implied logic that you need to add. You say that you have 100 junction box need to check during Turnaround, and each JB need only 1 hour to check. 

Unless you have 100 men on site at the same time checking junction boxes then there is an implied logic which is based on the number of men you have available to check the junction boxes.

So I can have 100 men on site and do everthing in 1 hour or .125 days 

or I can have 50 men on site and do everything 2 hours or .25 days 

or I can have 25 men on site and do everything in 4 hours or .5 days 

or I can have  12 men on site and do everything in 8 hours or 1 day 

or I can have  6 men on site and do everything in 17 hours or 2 days

or I can have  3 men on site and do everything in 33 hours or 4 days

or I can have  2 men on site and do everything in 50 hours or 6 days

or I can have  1 man on site and do everything in 100 hours or 13 days

this is based on an 8 hour day

Rafael Davila

In our schedules such simple scenario would be a single activity performed in several shifts, each shift with different crew composition and resources with different production rates. 

We update progress through volume of work and activity duration is determined by the distribution of shifts, the resources and productivities. It is quite easy and intuitive. It is interesting to see how remaining duration is affected by how remaining volume of work is re-distributed among the shifts.

I do not use P6 but suppose you could do the same.  The following image should be good enough for you to figure it out using your software, should be easy.

photo JB_Turnaround_zpsvzwsg5qm.png

As I do not have P6 I would appreciate if after you figure it out you show how it is done with P6.

Good Luck.

Amro Ahmed
User offline. Last seen 2 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Viet,

1-I think it is  important to decide whivh level  you are scheduling.

example: in shut down projects , we are scheduling up to duration  one hour activities, while in construction the maximum breakdown by day.

2- If  there is no relation with other activity , you can use  mile stone  for example::

A1000     start milestone      Strat in checking JB         (linked with other activity  accoding your method statement ,pritorization or constrains)

A1010     Task Depenant         Finalizing Group 1 of JB ( 24 JB)          Duration   3 days   ( FS with Resonanable lage to A1000)

and the same A1020

Regards,