Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planned Resources Analysis Monthly

4 replies [Last post]
Anderson Charlie
User offline. Last seen 6 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Currently I'm preparing planned resources (machinery & manpower) required for the project in monthly frequency. However, there are two ways in assessing the planned and resources (perhaps different user different method). The method (in my opinion and others) as per below listing:

1) Average usage of machinery, which refers to total cumulative machinery moblilize daily sum (for the month) divided with average working day (24 days used).

2) Maximum mobilize per day in that particular monthy (which will represent the whole month).

In my opinion maximum mobilization is best method to be used as it can tell the stakeholder (which is the client) how much machinery actually required to achieve that month amount of work.

Hopefully other planners can give their input in which is the better way and why.

Thanks in advance.

Anderson Charlie

Replies

Anderson Charlie

Hi Vlaidimir,

Fortunately my management supported my opinion and maximum numbers off resources will be used for early planning stages. Which is identifying how much machinery required to be mobilize. There's no write up on how to assess the resources required for production rate, i guess that's why i'm having a hard time in explaining it to my management.

Again, thanks.

Hi Charlie,

just imagine that the schedule requires 6 specific resource units on the first ten days of the month and then none. It does not mean that the requirement is 2 resource units per month.

Required quantities may be optimized by what if evaluations with resource leveling. This is the way to find the minimal resource amounts that are still sufficient to finish on time.

Anderson Charlie

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the reply. That was my opinion as well. But I'm having a hard time in convincing my management superior in utilizing the maximal numbers of resources rather than the average numbers. There ask me the justifications of why maximal numbers should be presented rather than average numbers.

Maybe they want to show the stakeholder lower figure numbers? Well then, it way above my paygrade already.

Again, thanks

Of course it is necessary to know maximal numbers of people and machines that are required.

Resource leveling can be used for resource requirements optimization.