Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Man Months for a project

12 replies [Last post]
Rizwan Rauf, PMP
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

I am confusing with man-months notation. I have to prepare a schedule for bidding and I have been given man-months of 10,155 (Man-Months), So man hours will be calculated as 10,155x30x10 (Man-Months x Month x Hours)?

Is it true as i got confused.

Thanks

Replies

jeoffrey reyes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Pinan,

It is very simple, computation on manpower requirements for construction in Royal Commission’s project shall be multiplied by 26days/month and for camp accomodation computation shall be multiplied by 30days/month. Royal Commission provided a sample spreadheet for Manpower Tabulation (for construction) and separate table for Camp Accomodation to be filled up by the contractor. RC gives only man-month data and it is up to the contractor or bidder to comply with. Actually, it is man-days that the RC required and not man-hour.

i hope this is clear to you now. i know that Rizwan understood this because he has the ITB documents with him.

cheers,
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Pinan T.,

man-month; man-hour; and man-day are units, in my understanding, it is one-unit-per-unit, quantity is another story

cheers
PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
i still can’t get it

10,155 man-month should be equal to 406 men per day, right?

i am not sure, but if you mean 10,155 as man per day, isn’t it too much?

or man-month is average man per day per month?
jeoffrey reyes
Hi Pinan,

You are right, that’s why i mentioned to Rizwan to multiply it only by 26 days for manpower tabulation and 30 days for camp accomodation tabulation.

Cheers,
PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi everyone, so man-month means man per day?

because you multiply by 30 or 25days per month

isn’t it that man-month is the total manpower per month?

just getting some information
jeoffrey reyes
Hi Daniel & Rizwan,

Let us be specific, Rizwan is working for Royal Commission’s Project. I’ve have done so many tender projects already with RC and Rizwan confirmed to me from PM that he is doing a bridge project for RC. Royal Commission always giving man-months only and it’s up to the contractor to compute and tabulate the manpower to be used for construction and camp accomodation as well.

This is for your info and might help if someone has a tender project with Royal Commission.

Cheers,
Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Generally, you are correct in your calculation

What you should consider is your company’s working hours per week and consider the number of holidays per year as well For example:

work week = 6 days per week + holidays (depending on Country) normally up to 12 days per year

Working Hours per day = 10 hours with 1 hour break for lunch

so effectively, base on the above example you are only working 9 hours per day at 25 days per month.

So 10,100 Man Months is equivalent to

10,100 x 25 x 9 = 2,272,500 manhours
MNT .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rizwan,

As other members said, please ensure that you are using the right calendars and holidays, as per Client’s requirements / suggestions mentioned in the ITB document.

Regards,
jeoffrey reyes
Rizwan,

in addition, multiply it by 30 if for camp accomodation purposes.

cheers,
jeoffrey reyes
Rizwan,

you have to check also your working calendar. if you will be using a 6-day calendar you have to multiply it by 26 only. are you working with royal commission project?
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Rizwan you are right

For example:

Man hours          3000          
Man days         3000/10    =300      (  10hrs/day )
Man Months     300/30     =10      ( 30 days/month)     

ManMonths           Manhours     
  10           10*30*10=3000
Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
my understanding is multiply by 10 hours/day only if you need in manhours